Polaris ATV Forum banner

'02 Sportsman 700 Electrical Problem HELP!

24K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  IGotSoldJunk 
#1 ·
OK. I'm stumped. I have an 02 sportsman 700 twin. It has a new battery. It does not start. It has intermittent power to dash, lights, starter etc. I do not know why it is acting this way. I have checked battery connections, solonoid and power to starter switch. I can't intentionally get power to dash. Power appears on it's own. Once power does show up it, it acts like normal until I turn starter key. Starter turns one rotation then electric goes completely dead again. It acts almost like a circuit breaker is getting hot and tripping, then resetting itself in a few minutes. Help!

#2 ·
start with the simple, check the grounds, check your connection pigtails, then look for bad wires using your multimeter.

#5 ·
02 Polaris sportsman 700 electrical problem

I have checked the battery and ground terminals. No corrosion. No resistance battery ground to frame. Battery is new.12.4 volts. Voltage to solonoid = battery 12.4 volts. Voltage to red wire at starter switch = 10 volts and change (I think 10.2, it was yesterday). Still no power to lights, starter or dash. Any ideas? Voltage regulator? Circuit breaker? Bad wire somewhere?
:hmmm:

#6 ·
I had a similar problem with my 04 700. It would run for 3 minutes and then shut off with no power. After 10 minutes it would start up and then shut off. There is a fuse/relay that is contained in an air pouch that was corroded. This is located in the pod/speedo. This may be your problem.

#8 ·
I have opened the one pod I could find. No corrosion or moisture. it looks like there are two other similar little metal boxes which were e taped over by someone years ago. i have opened all three and they all look clean and show no resistance between posts or voltage to ground. Next? (as he beats his head on the concrete floor)

#9 ·
Try checking the 2 connectors on the left handlebar. These are the 2 flat connectors plugged in on the underside of the headlight/run switch. If either one of these loses connection, you will lose power to the dash cluster and key switch. Just unplug them and clean out any dirt in there and plug back in. Hope this helps

#10 ·
Power came back overnight, as if by magic, no changes. I turned key to accessory, power to display, lights, etc. I turned key to start and saw immediate spark from either the solonoid or one of the wires attached to it then bike went completely dead again.Any ideas?

#13 ·
Found a lot of dirt...cleaned all connections.
Problem still remains....no power anywhere but battery and to solonoid connection.
There is a small red wire under where the battery connects to solonoid. That wire comes up and has a small male plug on it, It connects to another wire. Does anyone know where it goes from there?

#15 ·
small red wire goes all the way to ign switch , take front plastic off, take cover off of headlight pod, cut all zip ties off of wire looms and start takin wires out of loom, bet ther is a broken one around steering stem and when you turn it , sometimes it makes connection.

#16 ·
i had same issue. take front rack off remove hood. You should see two fuse/circuit breakers that are in a water tight pouch. Cut pouch open read what fuse rating they are and replace with inline buss fuse holder and fuse. They may appear fine but trust me they are bad have done this to multipul sportsmans. I can get pics of mine if u like.

#19 · (Edited)
my speedometer cable was grounded somewhere
the speedometer cable actually got hot
gonna replace the breaker now that ive gotten it all super hot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.