Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out why my sportsman 700 burns through starter bendixs. The hole in the engine side has grown bigger and the bendix is loose. Is there a way to fix this. I’ll put some pics in. The hole is not a perfect circle now.

·
Registered
8,078 Posts
I pull them out by threading a bottoming tap into it, either remove the tap and screw a bolt, stud, piece of threaded rod or what you have handy into the bushing - if using threaded rod, thread a piece of rod into the bushing, place a 1/2 to 1 inch long piece to pipe over the rod (pipe has to have an ID larger then the OD of the bushing) place a washer on top of the pipe and run a nut down the rod against the washer - tighten the nut and extract the bushing into the pipe.

Sometimes you can just leave the tap in the bushing, place the pipe over the tap and run a nut down the tap to do the same thing. I have seen some mechanics thread the bushing and use a slide hammer puller. I watched a welder weld a bolt to the bushing, clamp vice grips onto the bolt and hit the vice grips with a hammer to get the bushing out. One method I have heard of, but have not tried it is to thread a grease fitting into the bushing and use grease pressure to push the bushing out. I haven't tried it because i don't know how much pressure the engine case is capable of withstanding - a thin casting will 'pop' under pressure and could ruin the case. It is much safer to pull the bushing rather than push it.

Don't do anything until you have the new bushings - many new Bendix come packaged with replacement bushings.

I can find the bushings on other models (08 700 & 800 uses 3514553 - 12.08x17x10), but I can't seem to locate the bushing for the 02-07 600 or 700 - it may have to be custom made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pull them out by threading a bottoming tap into it, either remove the tap and screw a bolt, stud, piece of threaded rod or what you have handy into the bushing - if using threaded rod, thread a piece of rod into the bushing, place a 1/2 to 1 inch long piece to pipe over the rod (pipe has to have an ID larger then the OD of the bushing) place a washer on top of the pipe and run a nut down the rod against the washer - tighten the nut and extract the bushing into the pipe.

Sometimes you can just leave the tap in the bushing, place the pipe over the tap and run a nut down the tap to do the same thing. I have seen some mechanics thread the bushing and use a slide hammer puller. I watched a welder weld a bolt to the bushing, clamp vice grips onto the bolt and hit the vice grips with a hammer to get the bushing out. One method I have heard of, but have not tried it is to thread a grease fitting into the bushing and use grease pressure to push the bushing out. I haven't tried it because i don't know how much pressure the engine case is capable of withstanding - a thin casting will 'pop' under pressure and could ruin the case. It is much safer to pull the bushing rather than push it.

Don't do anything until you have the new bushings - many new Bendix come packaged with replacement bushings.

I can find the bushings on other models (08 700 & 800 uses 3514553 - 12.08x17x10), but I can't seem to locate the bushing for the 02-07 600 or 700 - it may have to be custom made.
I got it out I’m trying my best to kinda make one out of something. It just needs to fit the hole good right?

·
Registered
8,078 Posts
It needs to fit the hole tight (hole ID is lets say12 mm and the bushing OD is 12.08 mm = nice tight fit, but the hole for the Bendix is say 10 mm - the ID of the bushing needs to be 9.75 mm) - I have made them out of oil-lite bearing bronze for Honda's and other makes where the OEM does not offer them as a replacement, but I don't have my lathe any more, so I can't easily make one - I still have my vertical mill and can worry one using an alternate method, but I need the part to fit it correctly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It needs to fit the hole tight (hole ID is lets say12 mm and the bushing OD is 12.08 mm = nice tight fit, but the hole for the Bendix is say 10 mm - the ID of the bushing needs to be 9.75 mm) - I have made them out of oil-lite bearing bronze for Honda's and other makes where the OEM does not offer them as a replacement, but I don't have my lathe any more, so I can't easily make one - I still have my vertical mill and can worry one using an alternate method, but I need the part to fit it correctly.
I don’t have that much to work with lol. Do you think ORielys may have a similar bushing?

·
Registered
8,078 Posts
I kinda doubt it - why not ask at the Polaris dealership - their mechanics might just tell you it's the same as the newer models and have them in stock - there is one in the engine case and one in the cover

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I kinda doubt it - why not ask at the Polaris dealership - their mechanics might just tell you it's the same as the newer models and have them in stock - there is one in the engine case and one in the cover
I doubt they will have it but I’m going to take the bendix and old bushing and see if they do. If not I will go to our local atv parts place, they had the flywheel key and manifold gasket so I’m sure they have this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will one from other Polaris at a like magnum 335 work?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
08 and up 700/800 used part number 3514553
86-02 250, 300, 325, 335, 350, 400, 425 & 500 use part number 3083669
Yikes. I suppose I’ll have to order it and hope it works. Do you by chance know the measurements? And thanks for all your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts