Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy turkey day ya'll !! I was given a 02 700 sporstman twin this last weekend, it runs great but needs some help. All the suspension bushings are shot and the rear cv axles are clicking badly. I did the vin decoder and figured out its an 02 but when I'm searching for replacement cv axles one of the notes that pops up is build date prior to 5/1/02?? Its stock now but I do plan on a 2" lift and maybe 27"-28" tires eventually. Do I need to spend the coin on gorilla type axles or will stocks be ok. I do trail riding and some mudding. Ive already ordered the bushing sets and would like to do the cv's while its apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, depending on the build date it shows 2 different part #s for the cv axles. How do I determine build date? my vin search reveals a purchase date in july 02 but that doesnt help...I've read before 5/1/02 makes it an 02, after that makes it an 03??? VIN# 4XACN88A32A718666 if that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I cleaned the frame off good with a wire brush the actual vin# is 4xach68a52a710666 which still comes back to a 02 sportsman 700 but with a sale date of 2/7/2003 as a 02 model.

·
8,935 Posts
OP, the difference is in the splines on the CV and in the wheel hub. If you match up the spline configuration you have now and buy new ones that are made the same way that's all that matters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted a dealer( not local to me) and they were able and willing to help. gave them the vin and build date was 3/25/02 so parts are ordered and on their way. My local dealer was useless and wanted $105 for an $18 axle cross bearing. Amazon and partzilla are amazing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts