Polaris ATV Forum banner

02 Sportsman 90 Electric Start?

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bills036x6 
#1 ·
I just bought 2002 Polaris Sportsman 90 and I can not find out how to start it with the electric starter. I don't see a button other than a yellow one with a horn logo on it and the key switch only has 2 positions on/off. It has a spot for a battery and cables but the battery is gone.

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Well, first you need to put a battery in it. As far as starting it goes, there should be a yellow button on the left side that is for the starter. You need to have the key in the on position (to the right), kill switch on the pod engaged (rip cord inserted), the red kill switch on the left in the on position (up), and you must have the left brake lever engaged while pushing the yellow start button.

#4 · (Edited)
It is surprisingly difficult to find any good pics or vids. of the assembly for the 90, and I am overseas right now so cant get you a photo of my daughter's. Here is a video I found on youtube though of a kid doing a walk around of his. It is a little newer model, but the controls are almost the same. Look at about 1:30 in this video, and he shows how to start it.

#8 ·
I'm not familiar with the 90's but on some of the older machines you had to push UP on the run/kill switch to start them. Once the writing is worn off that says "push up to start" its like a hidden starter. Makes them somewhat theft proof unless the thief carries it away.

#10 ·
Are you doing everything that I stated in my first post? Sometimes the little things like having to engage the brake are overlooked. If you are doing all those things properly, maybe you have a bad starter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.