Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm trying to figure out what year Sportsman 700 my buddy has. I've looked up the cdi in comparison and an 03 model is what his looks like and there is an "X" in the vin# no website has a vin with an "X" on it.

The problem;
The wheeler has melted a couple key/ignition switches and a brown wire in the harness. Replaced the wire but still melts switches. The battery symbol appears on the dash randomly even with a new battery. Recently while running the dash goes blank and the wheeler shuts off. Turn switch off and back on and dash is back on and it starts until I replaced the last key switch. It started and ran fine for 5-10 seconds and then died and dash is blank. I was told CDI/ECU/ECM by a Polaris repairman but not so sure. I'm not the greatest with electrical but I seem to have power going into the headlight/cluster unit but with the key turned on there is no power going to the CDI which is bolted just under the headlight. Where should I look next? Thanks in advance but if anyone thinks I should craigslist it please say so. That's what the Polaris repairman told me to do with it.

Lewis/Baldy68

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
What's the vin#??

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Give us the VIN and we can identify it for you.

Year model is the 10th digit
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
2010 = A
2011 = B

The problem with the dash sounds like a failed stator or rec/reg or both feeding high voltage AC into the charging system and over driving the display - the display shuts off to prevent damaging the display.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it's a 2004.5 it will have a digital fuel gauge on the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give us the VIN and we can identify it for you.

Year model is the 10th digit
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
2010 = A
2011 = B

The problem with the dash sounds like a failed stator or rec/reg or both feeding high voltage AC into the charging system and over driving the display - the display shuts off to prevent damaging the display.

Thanks. I did find some bad prongs on the plug in that plugs to the switch. Going to replace those and see what happens. Once I get it running I'll do a voltage check to see how the charging system is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts