Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 03 Polaris 500 sportsman in trade. looks like all the brake hard tubes have been cut.there is a line under the seat along top of frame rail that is cut. what does it go to? is the rear brake just the small cyl.with a hard line to the caliper? thanks

·
11,641 Posts
The hand lever operates the front AND rear brakes. The line you are referring to (#8 in the diagram) runs from the distribution block on the front of the machine to the rear caliper. It is supposed to work just like your automobile...(approx. 60% front 40% rear) The rear caliper has a dual stepped piston that operates on one side with the foot pedal and the other side with the hand lever.
Someone must have been trying to cut off flow to the rear...stupid! May have had a leaking caliper or something. The right way to have done it rather than cut the line would've been to take it loose from the block and put a plug in its place in the block.
I would get a used line off ebay and fix it back like its supposed to be but that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iam trying to find a pic of the line under the seat that is cut. is it a hard line all the way back to the caliper from the block?

·
11,641 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sprayed, just found this thread. I had the exact same thing done to a 2005 sportsman that I got. I'm guessing the rear master cylinder locked up so they cut the line. I'm curious if you got yours fixed? I'm afraid if I try and replace the hard line that runs to the back of the machine it would require extensive dismantling of the machine or kinking the line trying to get it in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes as far as extensive dismantling. The brake lines were the first things installed in the Sportsman and then the rear diff. I am drilling and blasting right now to get at those two lines and carry out the banjo fitting mod. SHould take about a week I am guessing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts