Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the indicator lights on my 03' magnum. Still no lights. Are there fuses on this wheeler? Not sure where the heck I should go from this point. I'll add that I don't think the fan is working either on this wheeler. I would guess it might be connected to the light issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Same for the 500 - what indicator lights do you have? From what I see you should have a digital display and there is no indicator lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same for the 500 - what indicator lights do you have? From what I see you should have a digital display and there is no indicator lights.
no digi display. It just the small array of lights that show what gear you are in. Also oil light and temp light.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
OK - the 2x4 AA model (A03CB32AA) had the indicator lights and the FC model (A03CB32FC) had the speedo - also, the 4x4 models A03CD32AB, AC & FB models used the indicator lights while the 4x4 AA model used the speedo and the 6x6 C10CL50AA used the indicator light s as well - I initially looked a wiring diagram for the FC model. Wiring harnesses were different also - 2461050 was for the FC while 2461051 was for the AA model.

The bad news is that part was only used on the 2003 models previously listed - the good news is it is still available.

Never the less, none of the models had any fuses other than the main circuit breaker. My first suspicion is a faulty ground affecting the lights and fan and if not a ground, a faulty SSCB module 4010697 (which was also used on the 250 Trail Boss and the 04 330 ATP) - on the TB, the module only controls the fan and hot lamp while the Neutral and Low indicators were controlled by the transmission switch.

The transmission switch 3233835 was used on various models 03 to 18 - on none of the models I checked was there any fuses in the wires from the transmission switch to the termination (light or display). The transmission switch is simply a switch which connects to ground. The ground turns on a light or digital indicator when the circuit is completed by closing of the switch.

Therefore, look for a bad ground to affect the indicator lights and test the control module for the fan issue if fixing the ground issue does not fix the fan also.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I got the wiring diagram for your model of 330

It's wired just the opposite of most - power goes to the transmission switch first and then to the lights - the lights are grounded by the brn wire - check for continuity on the brown wire at the light module, then check for 12 volts on the red/wht wire at the transmission switch - if there is 12 volts on the red/wht wire, then check for 12 volts on these wires: grn/wht in neutral, wht/blu in low, purple in reverse and org/red in high - the red/wht wire at the light module should be 12v whenever the key switch and handlebar switch are in the on positions - it goes directly to the hot light and the blue wire with the white stripe becomes ground through the SSCB module to turn the light on.

You follow all that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic reply! Much appreciated. I’m going to dig into this tomorrow after work and see if I can pinpoint what the issue is. Thanks and I’ll report back what I find!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this is a little funny. I started to investigate the wire harness and the grounds when i discovered that the plug was unattached and hiding down in the engine area. Plugged it back in and now i have indicator lights. Now a new problem arises. While switching gears the lights don't match up to what gear I'm actually in. I am going to try giving that plug a good cleaning to see if that solves the problem.

Question, does the radiator fan work off of this plug? I haven't started it up and let it run to the point where the fan would come on yet to check.

Another question That black unit that the plug goes into...should it be set and unmovable? This one actually can turn or spin about 30 degrees.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
No - that has nothing to do with the fan.

As far as movable? I don't think it should - most are keyed (indexed) and go in a specific position then tightened in place - if it's retainer is tight and it moves, there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesn't look like it has a spot for tightening. If you look it has a retaining washer. Not sure the name of those washers. A 1/2 washer that seats into place. I'll have to take it off tomorrow and see what's up. Thanks for the help so far. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
OK - I looked:

It's retained by an E-Clip or snap ring - remove it and see if there is something broken and investigate how it is indexed.
According to the service manual, it has a plastic tab that keeps it in position. See pic and it should become obvious.

·
9,857 Posts
The shift shaft #14 is D shaped on the end and can be seen in the picture latebird posted. The D shaped end sticks out through the cover #4 just enough for the switch to go on the end with the tap in the notch hole in the cover and is held on with the E ring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final Update - - The transmission switch was seized up. I hit it with some PB blaster and let it sit for a day. This morning went out to take a look and it's free again. Since we bought this machine it's always been a little tough to switch gears and the indicator lights did not work. Now we know why lol.

The plug to the transmission switch was unplugged.
transmission switch was not seated properly.
Transmission switch was seized up.

Switching gears is 70% easier now. We also have working indicator lights that match up with the gears! A little more personal mechanical knowledge would have saved 65 bucks on new indicator lights but it's all good. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the information on this guys. Much appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts