Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I have a 03' predator 500 that will crank until the battery dies but will not start.

It has been hard to start cold since we bought it about 6 months ago but once warmed up it has started fine.

The last time we went riding a ramp kicked out from under me while I was trying to load the quad onto my ATV deck on the back of my truck and the quad ended up running upside down on top of me for about 30 seconds. I decided to do an oil change and replace a ripped radiator hose before I ever tried to start the quad again.

After doing those simple things I tried to start the quad but could not do it, even with draining the battery and then trying a battery from our second predator. I did a bit of research and it sounded like adjusting the valves was the answer to all of my problems.

I definitely needed to replace the shims for the exhaust valves as they were very tight and the intake valves were a bit tight so I got them back to spec, a .006 feeler gauge feels 'right' on the intake and for some reason my gauges only had a .011 for the exhaust side, i figured .001" wasn't too far out of spec and it feels fine.

I tested the cams with the motor at TDC and verified that the timing was correct, intake at 9:00 and 12:00, exhaust 9:00 and 12:00 + 1 tooth as the manual says. I didn't line these up with the 'golden links' on the chain though.

After draining the battery twice it finally started up thought it ran pretty rough. Once it was warmed up I could stop and start it just like my other quad! I thought my issues were fixed, the next morning I could not get it to start and haven't seen it running since.

Other things I have tried since are a new spark plug, cleaned the carburator verified that the ETC contacts are open inside the throttle, checked, double checked, and checked timing again. Checked compression, 105 psi. It has a cold air intake, it looks a bit old but removing it makes no difference to any of the symptoms.

As it sits now the quad turns over but quickly begins to bog down and turns over slower until a pop comes from the exhaust and the carburetor 'sneezes' fuel out of the bottom of the carburetor somewhere, it happens quickly and I can't see exactly where from while cranking the quad over. After it 'sneezes' it starts to turn over quickly again, bogs down and repeats the sneeze.

What have I forgotten to look at? What is my next move? If I could afford to have someone look at it I probably would at this point.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med: Bonney Lake huh...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. After this thing gets running again maybe you could suggest some places for my fiance and I to ride. So far we stick to a really small local place a few miles away and our last trip was up to Evans creek which is only 15 - 20 miles from our house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tore it down and set the timing again today. Decided to use the two gold links to line the cams up but I dont think it made a difference in their alignment.

What I did notice is that the cams seemed to seat better than before. They seem like they just fit Better. Its hard to explain but they sit further in toward the valves.

Put everything back together and it started on like the fourth crank. Scared the carp out of me since I wasn't expecting any change. Im happy to have it running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts