Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Rebuilt the carb and installed new jets. When I put the carb back on the bike, it only runs with the Choke pulled out. it dies the second I barely push the Choke in. Other symptoms include backfiring, exhaust and intake popping with flame. So far the things I have checked or tinkered with include:
- Making sure the Choke cable is routed correctly
- Correct Jets and cleaned Starter Jet
- Turned the Fuel Mixture Screw 2.5 and also tried 3.0 turns
- Adjusted the Idle and Throttle cable
- Cleaned and even replaced the Jet Needle
- The Float "Seems" ok

Please help if you know Useful information to help me, Thank You!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I think your gonna have to clean the carb again!!!

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN Even if it looks clean and you put all new jets in it could still be varnished.....if its not completely clean trash could be stopping the jet. Or else the needle valve is sticking and not allowing enough fuel in the carb bowl, floats out of adjustment, etc) or a fuel supply problem such as a kinked fuel line, bad fuel valve. I want you to check out this link for a great way to clean your carb out:

Home Brewed Carb Cleaning - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will work with the Float and Needle. I know for a fact the Carb is cleaned spotless. I Used a Shop's Water Sonic blaster. It is brand new now haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problems last time I rebuilt mine and I just had to start over. I never found the problem, I think I must have missed some gain of sand or something. ran fine the second time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
check that float adj. and needle float valve for wear..... then make sure your fuel pump is working properly or gravity feed it....... also check the slide make sure its super smooth

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Has to be in the pilot jet circuit. Remove the pilot jet and mixture screw and make sure you can blow some compressed air through all the passages they use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
03 problem

Hey guys I have an 03 predator 500. It is stock besides a slip on pipe. I have broken a key off of the crankshaft that locates the flywheel to set the timing and not sure why. It has happened 3 times now. I did what the service manual says, loctite the nut and torque it to 60ftlbs. If I replace it I get about 20 minutes of riding befor it breaks again and when it runs it has all of the power. Please help me if you have any idea of what would cause the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts