Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
03 Predator 500 Restoration

Hey guys, newbie here. I picked up a kickass project for Christmas vacation tinkering. My neighbor sold me his 500 for $250!! The scoop is that his brother got it from a guy that raced it. Probly a bad thing but i have hi hopes that i can return this machine to a dependable daily rider. As i progress with project Penetrator, i figured we could post some findings.....besides its more fun with more involvement and everyone is goin on vacation but me! I think my pics posted in here somewhere, so take look. Pulled carb yesterday and man....it had green gunk all over everything and couldn't get most of it but cleaned what i could, 1200 wet sand and bread ties. "may need new carb" Anyway, checked valves and all were spec but rt side exhaust was about .036. managed to get it fired up and its idling hi but what concerns me is that every 20-40secs. it backfires out the exhaust, keeps running though. i have no idea what jets to replace, or what size they are. Can i mic them? Also that was the first day working on it and i know there are a lot of possibilities, this morning i will hook air to the cylinder to see if I can hear the exhaust valve leaking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Penetrator day 2

Well things went good today, went back thru carb and there was a jet behind a jet where the needle sets. Pulled ALL jets and soaked! Guess what, on a time frame and work time, soaking is a waste of time and money! Cleaning 1 jet took a wire brush "strand" and got it in there, man that ones little. So, anyway...got all put together and replaced all fuel lines,$5..and it fired rt up and purred like a kitten! No more back fire and maybe you should check valve clearance as a failsafe as i did, but learn how and do it dont rebuild the engine to find its the carb! Till whats left of the bad gas re-clogged carb, clean again tomorrow. From past experience it takes 3-4 to make it stay. Checked fan by taking 3' speaker wire and inserting directly to plug, blk is almost always (-), fan works. Will check starter, and rear brake problem tomorrow. Haven't checked to see if there's any posts on the rear brake problem apparently everyone is having. Hoping UPS will bring my BOOK!!:aargh4:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Penetrator Day 3

Still no book!! BLIP<BLIP<UPS!!! Googled starter/alternator shops this morning and off to see the starter wizards. With all my testing and oreilys and autozone "couldn't do" he hooked up the starter and it fired rt up. he pulled it apart for me and showed me the brushes.....they'll last another 20hrs or so depending on starts. SO back to the problem.....Still having starting problems, read some forums that say replacing the starter every 18mths is Normal???? Don't know why but maybe this is the price to pay to own this bad boy! So you maybe smart too buy 2,inflation and Badohma care. Have the loaner battery on charge to check 1st thing in the morning! So the reason.....I took fully charged bat this mornin and,...crank,click,crank,click,click! Thught maybe it could be the relay...RELAY? Open no power, closed power! Pretty simple, so f it i go get some beer i'm frustered, get back to take relay off but decide 1 more test....hook my jumper cables up, didn't start truck, and on the first hit it fired rt up. Usually i have to start truck! I also sanded and cleaned all 4 batt cables. So I'm gettin some where!? Maybe. I really dought its the relay, will test the battery tomorrow for load and see if it reaches 180, thats what the Stealer told my....After he said there was no way to tell what the requirement is.....f,s,cuss,cuss,cuss, where is my damn book! So, if anyone is reading this, as of now i have a battery with at least 125cca, I have to sometimes blow in the overflow to get gas,and it is a lot of effort to get this thing to fireup. When its running it is idling and running very good for what i have done. if i had another grand id be broke. LOL Any advice?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. The hard starting may be the choke out of adjustment. It sounds like you probably have a weak battery too. You can jump the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver or pliers and see if it cranks over that way. That will tell you if it's bad or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Penetrator day4

Thanks for the in put RIDINAGAIN, i had to go to a different parts store to get a failed battery no good test this mornin. After some reading i went to sears and p/u a agm die hard gold 9mth free exchange for $67, see how long it lasts. Hooked it up and Bamm!! We r in business buddy. Also got my book today and cleaned my fuel pump, that thing needs overhauled, bad. After washing it with water and a tooth brush along with a pick it did improve, may see how it holds up. I tell ya i forgot how important that book is!!...its answering a lot of ?s that i couldnt figure out without it, best $20 amazon purchase ever! Well i have lots of reading to do and i want to test drive tomorrow and check the trans....so far this has been a typical polaris, this is my 3rd. With a book, common sense, and a little ingenuity you can make or fabricate parts better than the dealers. Polaris is the easiest machine i have ever worked on and i am by no means a mechanic, but i am mechanically inclined. If anyone knows where to get a master rebuild kit for the fuel pump around $20 let me know, or a quality fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts