Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried to find the answer but I'm just not seeing it. I bought a used Scrambler 50 for the kids and its a bear to get started when its cold out, more so than what I find to be normal. I'm aware that this is a common problem from some online research so I wasn't too concerned. However, as part of the trouble shooting I noticed that I'm only getting about 30 psi of cylinder compression as opposed to the normal 130-135psi. So now I'm looking into rebuilding this thing but I'm unsure of whether I should buy OEM parts or aftermarket. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to go with the OEM parts but the more I learn about this thing the more it seems like its full of Chinese parts anyways (such as the Sunworld carb, made in Taiwan, etc). Has anyone done this with aftermarket parts and had any luck? If so, what kind of life have you gotten out of them? Or am I just better off to pay the extra for the OEM parts? It seems like an after market top end kit is about $80 but the OEM parts is $200-$300.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've been reading on the site for a while now. Lots of good info on here. Just haven't had a reason to post until now.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've used aftermarket pistons and rings in hundreds of engines over the years. Nothing to worry about in most cases. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in that machine.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to go this route with the bigger bore is there anything else that I would have to change? Bearings? Clutch? I'll assume nothing since it isn't part of the kit but I'll ask anyways. But what would this do to the life of the rest of the machine that's already 10 years old and has obviously been well used? What kind of speed would you say I'd get out of it this way? I supposed I could just leave it governed more until my 5 and 6 year olds get the hang of it more. Its not a bad idea, just trying to weight the options. Thanks for all of your help by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts