Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My scrambler 4x2 has been in the garage for almost 2 years, I wanted to ride it again so I decided to change all the fluids and filter, changed the front arm-bushings, etc. After doing all that stuff, I got new gas and went for a ride and I noticed she's not running very well...I still have all the power but sometimes she chokes and bogs (don't know the right term).

I think that it might be some carb issue because she had really low gas, but hey, any help??
I made a video btw:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Carb may need serviced even if it and the fuel tank were drained prior to storage or if you dumped fresh fuel in with old fuel, drain all the fuel including carb, get fresh 91 or higher octane non ethanol fuel, put in a new spark plug and try again. If that doesn't do the trick, have the carb serviced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb may need serviced even if it and the fuel tank were drained prior to storage or if you dumped fresh fuel in with old fuel, drain all the fuel including carb, get fresh 91 or higher octane non ethanol fuel, put in a new spark plug and try again. If that doesn't do the trick, have the carb serviced.
Thanks latebird...ended up doing all the stuff you said. Gonna built it up and try to run it but I think I screwed it while doing carb cleaning. While screwing main jet I over torqued it and now it just rotates, all together, and can't unscrew it and take it out if I want to lol (need to cut it) . Might need some new parts (needle jet, main jet and ring)...gonna build it up and let u know if it's working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks latebird...ended up doing all the stuff you said. Gonna built it up and try to run it but I think I screwed it while doing carb cleaning. While screwing main jet I over torqued it and now it just rotates, all together, and can't unscrew it and take it out if I want to lol (need to cut it) . Might need some new parts (needle jet, main jet and ring)...gonna build it up and let u know if it's working.
BTW u might know this. Why my polaris main Jet is a 155 and the other ones I'm looking are 152.5??

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Damn man - it's not a freekin Harley or whatever heavy vibrating piece of equipment you have there! :oops:

OK - well hopefully you didn't damage something that can't be replaced. The standard main jet is a 155. A 152.5 just leans it up a little bit at full throttle. If you are at or over 2000 feet above sea level it's probably about right. If you are above 4000 feet it should be about 150.

See what happens and make the next move.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn man - it's not a freekin Harley or whatever heavy vibrating piece of equipment you have there! :oops:

OK - well hopefully you didn't damage something that can't be replaced. The standard main jet is a 155. A 152.5 just leans it up a little bit at full throttle. If you are at or over 2000 feet above sea level it's probably about right. If you are above 4000 feet it should be about 150.

?
I've never cleaned a carb before damn...everything was going pretty well, almost finishing when I screwed up. I'm thinking it's not going to work because if it's all rotating together the little holes of that needle jet brass part are not in the right position...i dunno if this matters. Let's see

Where I live I'm close to 300ft above the sea level actually. Should I go for a 160 main jet maybe??

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
155 will be fine - 152.5 slightly on the lean side, but should be fine also - 160 might work, but could be a bit rich causing a loss of power and wasting fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Update here...
Mounted the carb again, atv is running but not very well. She is leaking & seems to me she's burning to much gas, and then she dies. Gonna post video. Any help is appreciated...anything @latebird?
BTW I'm Portuguese, ignore me talking random stuff in the video. I'm taking too long to do all this stuff because I can only work on the atv on sundays for a few hours :)
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update here...
Mounted the carb again, atv is running but not very well. She is leaking & seems to me she's burning to much gas, and then she dies. Gonna post video. Any help is appreciated...anything @latebird?
BTW I'm Portuguese, ignore me talking random stuff in the video. I'm taking too long to do all this stuff because I can only work on the atv on sundays for a few hours :)
Thanks

I asked a friend and he told me that probably the needle and the seat are not well positioned...thats why she's leaking. Lets see on next Sunday episode ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What did you do to the carb when you had it off?
Ok so I took out the float asm part with the float needle and seat; took out main Jet + needle jet + needle and diaphragm; took out pilot jet and air ajuster;.
Cleaned all brass parts and carburator with some carb cleaner. Rubber parts/o-rings were left.
Notice that I'm not very familiar with this parts names...went to Google and polaris oem parts to check it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
OK - how much effort was required to remove the float needle seat? If you could pull it out with your fingers, it was not sealing and fuel was flowing past it even though the float needle may have been shutting the flow off. Also, if the float needle had wear on the ridges it can snag on the edge of the seat and not close completely. (see pic). If the needle seat was loose in the carb body, the o-ring should be replaced - 1.6x7.1 mm is the size. If you get a good carb kit (Shidy or All Balls) it will include a needle seat and needle along with other parts for less than the cost of a needle and seat from Polaris.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK - how much effort was required to remove the float needle seat? If you could pull it out with your fingers, it was not sealing and fuel was flowing past it even though the float needle may have been shutting the flow off. Also, if the float needle had wear on the ridges it can snag on the edge of the seat and not close completely. (see pic). If the needle seat was loose in the carb body, the o-ring should be replaced - 1.6x7.1 mm is the size. If you get a good carb kit (Shidy or All Balls) it will include a needle seat and needle along with other parts for less than the cost of a needle and seat from Polaris.
View attachment 138525
Oh OK...it was pretty easy to remove it, only with my fingers. Maybe o-ring is not sealing very well then...gonna replace it. If this doesn't work, I'm buying one of those kits.

Hey man thanks for the help and patience...really appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts