Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys. I have a 03 500 h.o. the issue is: new battery starts up fine. Lately When i run it, plowing, using the winch its good until the fan kicks on. Then it will bog down and sometimes shut off. Now, when i go to re-start, it has a hard time, like its starving for gas. I read on another site...similar issue the guy changed out the fuel pump. I ordered one and will be putting it on today. Im the original owner. Its never been changed so i figured id do it..but i have my doubts. Any ideas

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, I’m going to suggest something simple, that is if the machine has some type of alternator it to may be getting weak, if you going to throw money at it, ask if you can put in a larger amp battery with a matching alternator , if possible, also do you run high powered lights, are wires the hard and old, and also do you use a block/ battery heater, and how’s the oil? I read some place that with the change in temperatures condensation can build up resulting in water in the oil pan and to watch for a rise in oil level, not sure if any of this is helpful, but food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think I'd check the simple stuff first. Idle speed correct?, Charging voltage ok? This should have a built in diagnostic for checking these, Remember how to do that? Parking brake on ,in neutral, then start while holding the override button in.
Since it's got a lil age on it, you may want to see if the carb. intake boot clamp is tight, then again you never mentioned any other driveabilty issue.
Is the fan any noisier than usual?
Does this have engine breaking?
Have you been plowing in low range?
Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fan seems fine. I checked the voltage at idle its above 12 ..about 14 with rpms. Does not drop below 12 unless i turn the lights on and use the winch , and realky it only does it when the winch stops after pulling up the plow. Im not sure if i checked the voltage properly. I used a multimeter. Red to red blk to blk. I dont know about what you said in ref to the diagnostic test. I usually plow in high range.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Nope. No diagnostic software on a 03 HO unless you take it to a dealer and they use digital wrench on it.
I didn't word that properly. By diagnostic ,I meant you can get the speedo. screen to display the charging system voltage and idle speed. Hi tech back then.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Fan seems fine. I checked the voltage at idle its above 12 ..about 14 with rpms. Does not drop below 12 unless i turn the lights on and use the winch , and realky it only does it when the winch stops after pulling up the plow. Im not sure if i checked the voltage properly. I used a multimeter. Red to red blk to blk. I dont know about what you said in ref to the diagnostic test. I usually plow in high range.
You really should use low range for plowing, easier on the belt plus since you're in a lower gear(if you will) the engine spins at a higher rpm and which helps your charging system a little.
Try to getting in the habit of not running the blade to full up stop each time you plow to a pass. Eventually you will ripping your cable in two .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts