Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day, I recently purchased a 2003 Sportsman 700 twin from a buddy who is not mechanically inclined whatsoever. it had a starting problem which he changed the CDI, but couldnt get it going.

first step: (Done)
1. I got a new battery
2. cheked the spark on the plugs,
3. the fuel lines and filter and
4. the air filter and componenets.

it was running well for 2 days, but the battery icon was flashing and it died. i charged the battery and was getting 12.4 (i believe i need 12.5) yet it fired up and drove for an hour and then all power shut off. Started it again it ran another 30 mins and power loss, did that 2 more times and wouldnt start again.

Step 2: (going to do this wknd)
1. I am going to remove all the plastics and check all the wires (grounds first) and see if that is part of the problem.
2. its not charging so i think i may need a new stator (checked the battery with volt meter and its steady so i dont think its the regulator)
3. the AWD isnt engaging, going to check the wires and once the power problem is sorted, if it still doesnt work then check the driveline diff up front.

as side from that, any one have any other ideas?

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CDI ignition upgrade

Took a look around the forums and spoke to a buddy at Cranked Up Motorsports and it appears that 02-mid 04 were plagued with electrical problems and theres an upgraded ignition kit with external coil that has sorted alot of the problems out that i am having. Goona order one from RM Stator and see how that works vice ordering a new stator. On that i am going to test my stator this wknd just to make sure its working properly. will update for anyone else with similar issues.

cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm with ridinagain, sounds like you are on point. Stator sounds like it's toasted.

Have you changed diff and hub fluids yet?? Sometimes new fluids are enough to get the awd working again.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Looks like I dodged that problematic Ducati ignition system on my '04.5 700. It sounds like those are almost guaranteed to fail.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts