Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03' Sportsman that has a mind of its own. I've recently had the stator replaced (no spark) and when I got it back it ran great....Until the starter started running while I was riding it. Got a new ignition, but that wasn't it. Took it to the dealer, he replaced the starter solenoid and the high/low beam/kill switch. Got it back and it was running great until I turned on my low beams and the starter started running while the machine was on. If the machine was off but the key was in the on position it would start when I moved the light switch to the low beam setting. I figured I had already put enough money into it and decided I could do without low beams...until 10 minutes into a ride the starter started running. Didn't seem to matter what position the light switch was in. I've done a visual inspection of the wiring harness and it looks good. I'm at a loss......any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Look at wiring around steering stem, have to take front plastic off to get to it then take wires out of harness,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the wiring around the steering stem. I did find a poor wiring job with my winch. They had tapped into a constant wire that goes to my electrical outlet. The connections were actually bad on that anyway so I disconnected that piece of the harness at the quick disconnect. The black plastic bag came with it (I assume is a resister of some sort?). I left the winch disconnected until the rest of the wiring issue is resolved. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. The starter started running while the engine was going. Didn't matter what position the High/Low Beam Switch was in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved! I noticed the fan would cut out and the starter would run. I traced both of them back and they grounded to the same (lose) ground. Thanks for the recomendations, happy riding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sumfun,

It looks as though it has been a year since you have had this issue, so I hope your memory isn't to rusty :). Do still you have the number for the excorist???
Mine is worse than Christine and Maximum Overdrive put together...LOL

We just did the if ignition upgrade and I have the same issue. Except it happens with any accessory it turn on. It seems to happen mostly when machine gets to operating temp., but not always. I've also noticed my electric fan is not coming on now too when I turn the key on. Can you point me to where you had your loose ground, and is yours still working fine a year later??

Thanks in advance,
ZMan079

1 - 9 of 9 Posts