Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
actually,its whippin me and my wallet.
I hope somebody can help,Ive done search after search and I'm drawing blanks.Here's the story:03 sportsman 90 ,has new battery,new stator,cdi box,starter relay,plug,carb,plug wire.Bike wont start! It has always run good,until one day it died and wont start.It turns over ,and has spark.
Ive tried jump starting it,nothing.Starter fluid,nothing. Im lost!Ive pulled the kill switch,it shuts off spark,and when plug the kill switch in,it sparks.So I know it's doing it's job.The left brake lever is doing it's job,too.

I'm totally lost at this point.

ps.I'm not a mechanic,have limited tools.No volt/amp testers either,and I wouldn't know how to read them anyway. please help

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like you have covered some bases here but are absolutely sure its getting fuel?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sometime the most obvious solutions are starring you in the face and are never seen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I worked on one of these at school this year. We cleaned the carb and even then it was still a bear to start. Do you have access to a compression tester? Does the engine spin over faster than normal? Try putting a little fuel in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, put the plug in and see if it fires. Maybe a seal went bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a compression tester.Guess I could get one.
It does seem to be cranking a little faster than normal.
how much fuel should I put in the cylinder? oh, and what happens if it does fire? I guess that means its not getting fuel?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wouldn't do anything else until you run a compression test. Go down to your local Advance Auto, etc and get a tester. With the correct adapter threaded into the spark plug hole, hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine over several times. Report back with your result.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Engine Turns Over But Fails to Start

No fuel
 Dirt in fuel line or filter
 Fuel will not pass through fuel valve
 Fuel pump inoperative/restricted
 Tank vent plugged
 Carb starter circuit
 Engine flooded
 Low compression (high cylinder leakage)
 No spark (Spark plug fouled)

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
IGNITION SYSTEM TROUBLESHOOTING

No Spark, Weak or Intermittent Spark

Spark plug gap incorrect
Fouled spark plug
Faulty spark plug cap or poor connection to high tension lead
Related wiring loose, disconnected, shorted, or corroded
Engine Stop switch or ignition switch faulty
ETC switch misadjusted or faulty
Terminal board or connections wet, corroded
Poor ignition coil ground (e.g. coil mount loose or corroded)
Faulty stator (measure resistance of all ignition related windings)
Incorrect wiring (inspect color coding in connectors etc)
Faulty ignition coil winding (measure resistance of primary and secondary)
Worn magneto (RH) end Crankshaft bearings
Sheared flywheel key
Flywheel loose or damaged
Excessive crankshaft runout on magneto (RH) end - should not exceed .0024″
Faulty CDI module

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a sneekin suspicion its the compression.because of all the parts I've already replaced :cdi,starter relay,spark plug (has plenty of fire).
has plenty of air,sprayed starter fluid into the carb and nothing.......gonna put some fuel in the cylinder and go from there.Not sure what to do if it is low compression though....

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a sneekin suspicion its the compression.because of all the parts I've already replaced :cdi,starter relay,spark plug (has plenty of fire).
has plenty of air,sprayed starter fluid into the carb and nothing.......gonna put some fuel in the cylinder and go from there.Not sure what to do if it is low compression though....
Could just need rings, but might as well bore it and be done with it.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Could just need rings, but might as well bore it and be done with it.
No. If cylinder is good just hone it and put a new piston and rings. Maybe $100.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update;
Sorry guys,I've been super busy,too busy to mess with the 4wheeler (wife gave birth to boy #4).
Anyway,stopped by 3 different parts stores,and none had a compression tester ,ordered one online,as soon as it gets here I'll check the compression.
How much should it read? I've heard 75,but I don't know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
Update;
Sorry guys,I've been super busy,too busy to mess with the 4wheeler (wife gave birth to boy #4).
Anyway,stopped by 3 different parts stores,and none had a compression tester ,ordered one online,as soon as it gets here I'll check the compression.

I want to say a stock 90 is around 100-110 psi.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Update;

from 2001 manual. 115 psi

from 2004 manual. 90 cc models: 90--110 psi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts