Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear seal blew out on my 03 700 Sportsman. Removed and tore down caliper, cleaned and checked piston and sleeve and all checked good. Put on new seals, lubricated with brake fluid and attempted to put piston back in. Book says push in while turning but it flat won't go in no matter how hard I push. I even hit it with a rubber hammer and while it went in slightly, it would not go in all the way. If it is this hard to get in my concern is that it will not move smoothly once mounted on the atv. Anyone else have this problem or any hints to what I might be doing wrong?

·
10,582 Posts
Make sure the seal groves are completely clean and the seals oriented correctly. The piston and seals need to be really soaked with brake fluid. A little light coat won't do it. Its hard to start but if you keep working with it it should go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the seal groves are completely clean and the seals oriented correctly. The piston and seals need to be really soaked with brake fluid. A little light coat won't do it. Its hard to start but if you keep working with it it should go.
Thanks. All the groves are completely clean and seals oriented correctly. I put a good bit of oil on the piston, seals and chamber, but maybe I need more. I can get the piston in far enough so that the seal on the fat part of the piston is flush with the chamber edge, but after that it will not move, not turn nor go in. I'll try more oil and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts