Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 Trail Boss 330 Project

I just started on the tune-up kit that came with the TB. Trans fluid, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter changed. Waiting on new oil cooler hoses to change the oil (they're leaking underneath).
I started taking off the panels to see what I can access, and to look for any surprises. I already have a couple of questions, forgive my inexperience:

1. Is there a clutch to change gears? When i try shifting when at a idle, the gears grind, therefore I turn it off to shift... I think this is indicative of a problem becuase the manual doesn't say anything about it.

2. In the tuneup kit there is an "inline breather filter". I can't find this sucker anywhere (i looked throgh the 200 pg manual and can't find it) nor on the quad. its about the size of a roll of quarters, so its not exactly tiny... Thought at first it was the fuel fitler, but that was also in the kit.

3. Is the fan audible when running? I can't hear it running, but maybe they're really quiet.

4. Do I have to remove the gas tank to get at the carb? I'm running seafoam through it now putting off carb maint as it gives me the heeby jeebies.

I've searched through the forum to find these answers (i'm sure someone has already asked), but no luck.
What I'm hoping to accomplish: I want to keep everything mainly stock except undercoating/preservation as there is some slight rust and painting the lame white wheels. If it aint broke dont fix it (thats in ref to my bank account). Tires will also get replaced soon I hope. I was already suggested with bear claws(inexp + durable?) in the newbie portion of hte forum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update1: Cleaned the carb and now it won't start... let the games begin
Update2: It starts...now going through the no idle troubleshooting, what a can of worms i opened up.
Update3: Cleaned upper/lower portions of carb 3 times still no idle/backfiring. Investigated to find spark plug connector had broken off onto the plug. Part has been ordered. Conferred with another 330 owner who had smiliar problems (ignition wiring had worn and was grounded). Highly recommend that if you have problem with no idle/backfiring you first do the quick and cheap check with your wiring. I found the required parts on ebay for $26(including shipping).
To get at the carb I had to remove front rack/plastics and unbolt the gas tank. After that its relatively easy to get to. Also, the carb is not that complicated with basic mechanical skills.
Still no info on "inline breather filter" or if fan is audible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheapcycleparts.com had the OEM hoses. Shipping was pretty quick and they were reasonably priced. Replacing the hoses took all of 15 minutes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheapcycleparts.com had the OEM hoses. Shipping was pretty quick and they were reasonably priced. Replacing the hoses took all of 15 minutes
What part number did you order from them? I'm a bit confused because it shows 2 part (1). It appears to me that one is just one hose and the other is both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts