Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to increase the take off power and acceleration. Normally, this could be done by changing sprocket sizes. I've read that ideal sprocket ratios for an ATV is between 3.0 & 4.0 but closer to 3.0 So, since factory 11/40 is 3.63 (which is pretty low geared already) would I really benefit from changing the ratio or do I need to be looking elsewhere for my performance gains. I had even thought this ratio sounded too low geared but, I have not had the opportunity to test different ratios yet as I am still waiting on parts to fix this recent acquisition. Hoping to hear from those with this machine that have already experienced altering ratios' with this bike. We ride Sand Dunes and weigh between 165 & 200. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I became inpatient trying to find this answer and found some threads recommending a shop that sells performance mods for these and more. Let me tell you, he's awesome and give fantastic deals. He sure knows his stuff. I'm getting a complete Stage I performance mod kit for $325; pipe, silencer, carb jets, filter, clutch spring, & shipping. If anyone wants to make any serious improvement to theirs, give him a call (618) 644 3211. He even sells an overhaul kit that turns this engine into a 414 that he says this engine easily can be modified to. He says I should first do my stage 1 kit, then worry about sprockets because the clutching mod will make the biggest difference while the rest gives my horsepower increase. So, I'd still like to hear from anyone with sprocket experience on these. Thanks for replies.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Reviving your thread since I just picked up a couple trail bosses myself. So I assume you got all the hop up's installed, noticeable difference? Do you like it better now? Let me know because I'm curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the stage 1 kit was a worthwhile improvement. It's not huge but definitely gives it more horse. The clutch spring makes it a little tighter... seems that more rpm's are used for rear wheels to engage thus creating more power when they do. I'm not sure on this.. just what it seems to me. I think each individual mod probably wouldn't have made a noticeable difference if done one at a time. But, as a kit, it is definitely noticeable. As for the gearing, I was baffled at how low geared these are stock--maybe due to lack of power. I've been gearing it up now that I have more power... also no longer have the idle stall when cold. Stock 11/40 (3.63) was slow on top end. Bumped to 12/40 (3.33) Have a little more top end now and still plenty of power at low end. I feel like I could get a little more top end without sacrificing power by dropping to a rear 38 giving me (3.16) maybe.... might play with that later down the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts