Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we got some snow and I went to play in it and I go to start it and it just rolls over. I give it full choke and that didn't work so I played with the choke a little; still couldn't get it to start. Then it started for about 3 seconds and shut off and wouldn't start again then bammmmmmm make a huge bang. We worked on it all night and it keeps doing the same thing every time. We checked the spark and it was good we are getting a new plug as I dropped it on cement wooops. I need help any info is good.:dong:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
sounds like you flooding the carb. could you tell if the bang came out the exhaust or the intake?

first thing to do if you cant get it started is locate the carb. at the base of the float bowl (bottom part of the carb) there will be a screw that has a slot for a standard screwdriver. loosen that screw until fuel begins to poor out of it. dont tighten the screw until the fuel has stopped draining out. it wont be much fuel, only a few ounces. tighten the screw back up, and try to restart it with as little choke as possible.

or, put the quad in neutral, set the parking brake, and aim it away both front and back from any people or objects, for safety of course. hold the throttle wide open and start cranking it over. if it doesnt catch, put a little shot of starting fluid, brake cleaner, or contact cleaner into the intake. hold the throttle wide open while its cranking over until it catches and fires up.

always try to use as little choke as possible. full choke and 6-7 turnovers without the machine firing up can easily flood the carb and the fuel mixture becomes way too rich. happens all the time in the winter though, flooded carbs that is

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
if its coming out the exhaust then it sounds like the carb is getting loaded up with fuel, the mixture is too rich, and thus why it wont start. try either method, both should help. if the carb is flooded, and you get it started by holding the throttle wide open, you will have to stay on the throttle for a few minutes so the carb and unload the fuel still in the bowl and burn it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dad got me my new plug put it in and conected to spark plug wire and didn't even the key long enough to hardly spin the starter and vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm fired rite up. I didn't even need to touch the gas or pull the choke out I am so happy it fired up.
:rock_dj:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
dude that great! how did the old plug look? was it wet or have a lot of carbon build-up? that plug can give you signs to what happened in the first place

1 - 6 of 6 Posts