Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I have an 03 predator 500, and I cant seem to get it to go into neutral when its running.

It goes in fine when its off.

and to top it off it goes into neutral quite often while Im riding it, and shifting from 1st to 2nd.

I don't think its related but I think I also have a problem with my one way clutch in the starter housing. because the starter turns but rarely does it turn the engine.

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:rockwoot:

·
Registered
15 Posts
well don't really have a solution but he isn't the only one mine does the same as far as the whole neutral thing.I think it's just the 03 model that does it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Neutral is hard to find sometimes on the 1 down 4 up quads

i have an 03 and its a pain sometimes

and the starter barely starting the engine could be a bad RM Stator or you simply need a new battery

and it going into neutral while riding could be the clutch going bad and neutral is between 1st and 2nd gear so if you dont press up hard enough you will put it into neutral instead of putting it into second

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply. I cant ever get it into neutral, at least while its running. Ive actually tried for 10-15min at a time. just sitting there shifting up and then down, up and then down. Ive had my friends try same thing.

ive just gave up on it. I keep a piece of tie wire on my handle bars and just tie the clutch down when I need to get off for a few min.

and the starter spins really strong, it just doesn't turn the engine. and when it does it makes all sorts of slapping banging sounds. from what Ive read im fairly certain its the one way clutch.

I just got the clutch in the mail and am waiting on the fly wheel puller tool to do the job. hope it works, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
and the starter spins really strong, it just doesn't turn the engine.
i dont know what the starter turns to kick the engine on (maybe a gear) but maybe thats loose or not turning right

and good luck with your clutch

and how much is a new clutch for the 03's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know what the starter turns to kick the engine on (maybe a gear) but maybe thats loose or not turning right

and good luck with your clutch

and how much is a new clutch for the 03's?
Its not the drive train clutch( the one that sends power to the wheels)

Its a clutch just for the starter. it goes in between the starter and flywheel so the starter can turn the engine, but the engine cant turn the starter.

thew clutch was about 170$ shipped and the puller was about 25$ at my local dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts