Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First time poster, but have been lurking and searching for a few days. Just for the record, I have a 2004.5 700 carb model. Owned it since new. Got about 1400 miles on it. I seem to have two problems with my quad.

1st problem: AWD is stuck on with the switch off. I had extended warranty when i bought the quad. Took it back 3 times in the first 18 months for the same problem. Every time, they rebuild the front Hilliard, and after about 10 miles.. front wheels are grabbing all the time. i finally got tired of being without the quad so i just said the heck with it and decided to live with it. I'm going to assume that the front cage is broken and needs to be replaced. Planning on putting in the aluminum one to avoid breaking these cages. It almost make the quad not fun to ride because its so hard to steer with the front wheels always engaged. Question to you all, is the aluminum cage worth the $$? i feel like i can install it myself, just need to know if its worth it.

2nd problem: Bike sat for about 2 years after i flipped myself over the front end and broke the steering stem. I finally got around to tearing the bike down and replacing the steering stem, but i noticed yesterday putzing around the yard, i thought i would flip the AWD switch on to see what happens. the AWD light came on for a split second, went off, and never came back on. doesn't matter what i do, AWD light wont come back on. the AWD not coming on is not related to the AWD being stuck on all the time. The light used to work about 2 years ago, before i parked it. Should i start with replacing the switch on handle bars? or break into the front hilliard first and replace that cage and go from there? i can do just about anything to this thing, but i'm terrible with testing electrical stuff.. i have a volt meter, but i can not figure out which setting to put it on to save my butt from 3rd base to test the AWD Switch. If i post a picture, can someone walk me thru it on my particular volt meter and what everything should read?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update: After messing around with it a little yesterday, my AWD indicator light comes on, its my Yellow AWD switch thats wonky. if its not sitting just in the right spot, it wont come on, but when i move it... i can see it come up on the speedo. ordered some new demand drive fluid last night... gonna do a flush and see what happens.. if that doesn't work.. i'll tear down the front diff after deer season and rebuild. i'm so over this damn thing being so hard to turn.. the wife doens't even like driving it because its so hard to turn..

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would have the same problem on my 600 twin. The awd would engage automatically when the rear wheels slip and when it reached about 3200 RPM. I thought that the cage or armorture plate was broken. I knew the fluid was clean becuase when i took it to the dealer they sopously changed evrrything. I thought lets change the fluid agian maybe water got in or etc. When it came out it came out BLACK i flushed it a couple of times and it all worked good.
Try changing the fluid first and see what happens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just ordered some new fluid last night.. i'll try flushing a few times and riding it. how long did you ride it between changes/flushes?

·
Registered
326 Posts
When that happended to mine it was snowing alot so i would change the fluid and do some donuts in AWD that the fluid could circulate around the diff i did that until the fluid came out clean. So just change it and drive it a few times and change, keep repeating that procces until fluid comes out clean.

Also another way to find out if its an electrical problem or if the prob. Is in the diff, is to follow the the wires from the AWD housing in the handle bars and theres a connection just bellow the headlight pod so disconnect that so that theres no power to the diff and if it the awd disangages it wil be an electrical problem and if not its in the diff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a good idea on unplugging the switch... i'll have to try that after a flush or two. i'm taking it out saturday deer hunting, it still runs and i need it to get me to the tree stand. so i may not mess with it until sunday... i also have two torn front cv boots.. prob gonna try to tackle those on sunday too. i wont have time before saturday morning. i'll prob only have time for one flush and refil before saturday morning on the front diff. i really think its just the armature plate is staying magnetized. it doesn't matter what combination the switch is in, fwd/rev/low/high/over-ride button pushed, all 4 wheels are spinning.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The plate could be sticking becuase theres friction. Friction is caused by lack of lubrication so its maybe just the fluid. Keep updating to see if it will be fixed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts