Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..hope you guys can help me out with this thing..my 04 sportsman 700 efi doesn't seem to like to run smooth at low speed...over the past couple days we have got quite a bit of snow and when plowing, it "bucks" at low speed in forward and reverse..

also when idling (around 900-1000) and I just barely hit the throttle it will stall..

I did buy the machine used about 4 months ago and it does run ok running down the road at speed

need to help guys

thanks
shawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. Spray carb cleaner around intake boot. Rpm change? Replace
2. Throw plugs at
3. Check airbox intake "snorkel", make sure pre filter didn't break apart and clog up (it happens)

Its probably the intake boot (between throttle body and head). Its a common problem. Spray it and see what happens. Could also be the wiring for the intake air temp/barometric air pressure sensor on the boot between the air box and throttle body, the wiring likes to fray, would likely throw a code for this though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just picked up an '04 700 with similar but worse problem. Wouldn't idle at all. I assumed it was just a dirty carb, but thought it felt like a vacuum leak. I removed the carb, but before going any further I pulled the carb adapter (intake manifold). It's plastic and rubber, and sure enough it has a crack in it. I sealed it up with black RTV and now it works great. Just temporary 'til I get a new one. You could have a small crack. Check before you tear apart the carb.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Make sure you're looking at the adapter between the carb and cylinder head. Not the rubber boot between the carb and air box.

·
11,162 Posts
If it's EFI it don't have a carb. You should check the wiring but it probably just needs the TPS adjusted to make it run right. Takes about 10 minutes with a good digital voltmeter.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts