Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im needing to replace my outer rear cv boot right side [sitting on machine] my question is how do I pull the axel? I thought it would come apart like the front but nooo am I missing something or is it really stuck in the diff. I just didn't want to break another part. Thanks Guys.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
You need to take the brake Caliper off first to remove the right rear axle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got that off but I thought I was missed something the axel wont or don't want to budge its never been off .

·
9,430 Posts
First spray the splines full of PB Blaster so it can soak while you get everything else out of the way. Get the caliper, hub and bearing carrier off. Tie the upper arm up out of the way. Sit down in the floor and hold the axle straight in line with the differential. Get a good grip on the shaft and cv with both hands and brace your foot on the frame. Push it all the way in and then give it a sharp jerk to pull the axle out. You then out the axle in a vise to get the cv off the shaft. Some just knock off and some have a spring ring that must be spread with a special set of pliers.

If that don't work post back and we'll give you some alternative methods to pull the axle out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks men I just back on it today we quit early to bale hay then got rained out so in the shop I headed to get this thing back together. I assume the the cv end is the end that was in the differential.

·
9,430 Posts
thanks men I just back on it today we quit early to bale hay then got rained out so in the shop I headed to get this thing back together. I assume the the cv end is the end that was in the differential.
Sorta, the end in the differential is technically called a plunge joint if I'm not mistaken and the outer one is a cv. Regardless of the name, you need to get the axle out to disassemble the cv and put a boot on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts