Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Polaris Buds,

I bought a used Polaris 50 ATV (fixer upper) for my kids. So carb was shot I put that on and got it started. I then ordered a battery and got the electric start to work. I then noticed the brake light didn’t work so I plugged it in (as I noticed it was unplugged) and the atv shut off. I tried starting and wouldn’t start I unplugged the light and it started again. I then noticed that when you honk the horn it shorts the atv out and shuts off.

Has anyone had this happen before? I got the service manual for it I am planning on taking the plastics off today or tomorrow to start diagnosing the wiring. I check the rear brake light and it has the correct dual filament bulb. I am going to take apart the switch control on the left brake to check the horn switch and brake switch as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: so messed around with the brake switch and got it to work as supposed to. Ends up previous owners had tapped the wires together to override brake switch and stem that gets toggled by handle was bent. I straighten it out and plugged it correctly and wala!
now started messing with the light connected it as shown in service manual and doesn’t light up running light nor brake light. I connect the brn wire to running light and grn to brake light and i put a grown to the light and running works but no brake light. I remove the ground and brake light works but no running light.

also if turn the ignition switch off and i am holding the brake the bike stays running once i let go the brake it cuts off.
My head is about to explode lol.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
The light was never wired for the tail light - black (battery neg) is grounded the frame at the primary coil.

Now while most Polaris's use brown as a ground wire, on the Chinese Predator 50, brown is the hot wire when the key switch is on. At the taillight, the brown is hot and the brake light gets turned on when the grn/yel gets connected to the blk/blu - blk/blu is connected to blk/yel when the handlebar switch is in the run position - blk/yel goes to the tether (safety) switch (which is normally open held closed) and connects to the green wire - the green wire goes back to the key switch where it connects to black (ground).

The tail light has three leads - black (common), grn/yel (ground to turn on brake light) and a light blue (ground for tail light) - wire the light blue wire to ground and the tail light should be on whenever the key is on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The light was never wired for the tail light - black (battery neg) is grounded the frame at the primary coil.

Now while most Polaris's use brown as a ground wire, on the Chinese Predator 50, brown is the hot wire when the key switch is on. At the taillight, the brown is hot and the brake light gets turned on when the grn/yel gets connected to the blk/blu - blk/blu is connected to blk/yel when the handlebar switch is in the run position - blk/yel goes to the tether (safety) switch (which is normally open held closed) and connects to the green wire - the green wire goes back to the key switch where it connects to black (ground).

The tail light has three leads - black (common), grn/yel (ground to turn on brake light) and a light blue (ground for tail light) - wire the light blue wire to ground and the tail light should be on whenever the key is on.
Your awesome thanks for the great explanation I am going to try this tomorrow. Going to see if I can find new fuel lines and a fuel filter locally. I cleaned the spark plug today and gapped it as specified fired up quick and throttle response was snappy. I also greased the front steering and A arms. I want to get this thing running good. For some odd reason now the bike only runs with choke on all the time have to figure that out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tried that and nothing. Only way I can get JUST the brake light to work is if I ground the light fixture and connect the grn/yel to grn/yel and brown to light blue. Which according to the service manual it is incorrect. This is so frustrating I am about to build it back up like that as the kids are dying to ride it. Just hate it cuz I want it to be perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is this Corona crap treating you? Can’t wait until this is all over!

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
COVID sucks - every one is home and not working so they are bringing shit to me to work on - it go to the point I started telling them I wasn't taking anything in until May and when May gets here I might not take anything till June.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
COVID sucks - every one is home and not working so they are bringing shit to me to work on - it go to the point I started telling them I wasn't taking anything in until May and when May gets here I might not take anything till June.
I hear ya man this is horrible. I am tired of being stuck home might play around with the 50 later. Maybe try to put on the impossible oil line that goes from the oil pump to the carb. If I can’t put it on then I need to order pulley to remove flywheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts