Polaris ATV Forum banner

04 polaris trailblazer idle and rear brake issues

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Rawk 
#1 ·
the rear brake on my o4 polaris trailblazer does nothing and it out wont idle and i tried adjusting the idle but its as far in as it can go so please help me figure these out please>:cowboy:

#4 ·
Welcome!

Get yourself some Sea Foam! Treat the fuel in the tank and see what it does after a couple tanks. Mix it 2oz per gallon.

For the brakes. Spray bleeders with penetrating oil. Change out the fluid. Bleed brakes and see what you get.

#5 ·
The rear master cylinder is junk on these. It was bad on ours when we bought it. I did some research on them trying to find a used one and it sounds like they go bad every couple years! :(

#6 ·
Is there an adjustment on the throttle for these? If you put a slight pressure on the throttle with your thumb, without actually revving it, it idles high while the idle adjustment screw is in all the way. When you let go of it, it gets lower and tries to kick up again, but dies. Running the sea foam through it. If that doesn't work, planning on rebuilding the carb.

Question on bleeding the brakes, there are 2 bleeders, not looking at it right now and I can't remember what one I was thinking for the rear pedal, is that the top one?

#11 ·
Mine idled same, slight pressure on the throttle it idled, it has a contact inside the throttle control that when they touch it kills it,, i slid an o ring over the center post inside the throttle housing and it keeps the contacts from touching and it idles perfect now.

#7 ·
it could be the master cylinder, or the cable loosened. check the cable for tension and pull the master cylinder if the cable aint the problem. i just got one so i need to do work to it also. I'm no expert.

#8 ·
I actually got the throttle adjusted and it idles great now, the brakes I was fiddling with and pulled the caliper off and the pads out, the pads were worn flat. I got new pads and put them in and for good measure bled the brakes and flushed the fluid with new fluid. The rear brake works like it's supposed to now. Won't lay a skid down, but will come close to locking the tires with the pedal. I did find the right bleeder was for the rear brake lever and used that one. I have a vacuum bleeder that worked great. My son kept the reservoir filled as I pulled fluid through it until it was clean and clear.

He is absolutely thrilled with the wheeler now, he was sort of discouraged it wouldn't idle and he had to keep pulling it to start it.

I'm going to move onto the starter next. The battery holds a slight charge, not enough to start it even after 24 hours of charge. I'm going to jump it from my truck to make sure it's not the starter and make sure it turns over with the key, if it does, I will replace the battery. I do have a jumpstart mode on the charger, might try that first.

#9 ·
clean the carb,

i have an 04 trailblazer 250 and when i got my atv, it had been sitting for 3 years, and gas was left on. i cleaned the carb twice and went threw 3 cans of carb spray but i got it clean and clear and now it runs great. however i to am having the same issue with the rear break. does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the rear break?

#10 ·
i have an 04 trailblazer 250 and when i got my atv, it had been sitting for 3 years, and gas was left on. i cleaned the carb twice and went threw 3 cans of carb spray but i got it clean and clear and now it runs great. however i to am having the same issue with the rear break. does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the rear break?
I believe I've seen some on ebay, haven't looked since I got it working. The pedal seems squishy again with it, I have to try bleeding it again to see if it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.