Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I just picked up a very nice 2004 Polaris Pradator 500, Troy lee edition today and am having problems with it. I test drove it before the purchase and everything worked great! Problem is that when it gets good and warmed up then the problem starts. It starts spitting and sputtering while driving and then dies and once this happens it almost impossible to get started UNTIL it cools off.

Once it cools off for a while it'll start right back up and while its sitting there idling for a few minutes and warms up it'll die and the process starts all over.

I do know that i never seen or heard the cooling fan on the radiator come on and the brake light flickers like it has a bad connection. Also sometimes it wont start because it sounds like the starter is weak and can't make it past the compression stroke. ?????? (just listing the things i observed to help you help me)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Buy a new batt.

Also Sounds like your spark plug needa a change &/or maybe a Week coil

(i would start with the sparkplug)

Well
now you know why the guy sold it LOL!

& my brake light flickers Also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check the stator wiring, grounds, circuit breakers, etc. The CDI box may also be acting up. It's most likely something simple. The coil and battery don't really get much engine heat and aren't likely the problem. Start with the visual stuff before you start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after i've been thinking about it for a while and starting it up in the garage and let it run for a bit it almost seems like its starving for fuel. could i have a fuel pump issue? Where is the fuel pump and is it electric or a pulse pump? When it starts up and runs it sounds great! but then it'll sputter out and die and wont start back up. very possibly starving for fuel. Im hoping its something simple like this............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy a new batt.

Also Sounds like your spark plug needa a change &/or maybe a Week coil

(i would start with the sparkplug)

Well know you know why the guy sold it LOL!
I put the battery on the charger and it cranked a LOT better. the guy i got it from did warn me of it needing to be charged, so i may get a new battery anyways. but i figured 45 mins of riding would have been plenty to charge the battery, unless its on its last leg, or my stator is going bad.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the stator wiring, grounds, circuit breakers, etc. The CDI box may also be acting up. It's most likely something simple. The coil and battery don't really get much engine heat and aren't likely the problem. Start with the visual stuff before you start throwing parts at it.
it does have an after market CDI box. It's an "over-rev" CDI. Not sure if that's a good one or not. Do CDI's actually go bad or act up?

·
Registered
75 Posts
OEM cdi's aren't usually known for crapping out, but aftermarket ones who knows? I would def look at that over rev cdi and if possible substitute for a known good one or just play it safe and get the oem one and not worry about future problems like dying on a trail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OEM cdi's aren't usually known for crapping out, but aftermarket ones who knows? I would def look at that over rev cdi and if possible substitute for a known good one or just play it safe and get the oem one and not worry about future problems like dying on a trail.
Its very possible that i may switch back to an OEM CDI, but i want to trace down any other possible issues that it might be.

I pulled the stator cover off last night and there was oil in it. I was told by someone that a little oil is normal to keep the stator coils cool. Is that right?

Also when i put the cover back on i cant get the starter to engage. It will spin, but won't engage the gears to actually turn the motor over............... ???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oil shouldn't be in the stator area, but a small amount won't hurt. I'm not sure why the starter gears aren't engaging, maybe the one way clutch is slipping and may need some attention. Try turning it over by hand and maybe the one way clutch rollers will engage normally. This is taken from the service manual:

StarterMotor Turns - Engine Does NotRotate
  • Faulty starter drive/one way clutch
  • Faulty starter drive gears or starter
  • motor gear
  • Faulty flywheel gear or loose flywheel
  • Possible engine damage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do i turn it by hand?

the starter was working perfectly until i took off the stator cover off and put it back on. Then i went to start it and that's when it started doing its thing. Pretty sure im the one who caused the problem.

Can i turn it over by hand without removing the stator cover?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it seems that the culprit(s) was a dirty air filter, bad gas, and a weak battery. I took care of those three things and it runs like a champ now. Thanks guys for the help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad you figured it out man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts