Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a tough time locating the dip stick and drain plug for the rear gear case/transmission. Planning to replace the fluids. Looking at the manual and that's not helping. My 04 Sportsmans 500 was built in the later half of 04 (Model A04CH50AQ). So the manual isn't syncing up, or I'm just blind... Any hints from the collective mind as to where I should find these on the 04? Thanks in advance, rwhite35

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found these images

Okay, found these images of a rear gear case online. And this is how my gear case looks. So can anyone confirm that these are the correct locations for the drain plug and fill hole.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The drain plug should be on the bottom. I fill mine in the hole the dipstick goes in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A04CH50AQ Uses 05 Manual

Thanks Clinebo for the reply. As I mentioned in the first post, the model year is 04, however the engine and everything else is the same as the 05. Polaris switched over mid year which is why the 04's have two model numbers. Once I downloaded the 05 manual, everything started to click.

The picture above is the correct location for the drain plug and fill hole.

Thanks Again,
Ron

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
No it isn't, There is a driveline between the two.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'm sorry. Let me be more specific.

There is no transfer case as in what you'd be familiar with from trucks an jeeps.
The transmission drives both the front and rear drive shafts.
Whether or not you are in AWD depends on whether you have AWD turned on, (the switch on the handlebars) and whether the rear tires are slipping/spinning at different rate than the front tires. This then engages the mechanical part of the AWD making the front tires turn with the front drive shaft (prop shaft according to Polaris).

The transmission requires angle gear lube AGL
The front differential needs demand drive fluid.
The rear differential needs angle drive fluid.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
the 500 has the rear diff and tranny together, your picture shows the drain plug on the right side, the fill hole is on the left side, supposed to fill with AGL, but I use the same synthetic oil that you use in the engine, kicker is talkin about the setup on the twins, not the 4-500s

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
500 Transmission and Front Gearcase Oil

No it isn't, There is a driveline between the two.
So do they need different fluids, i can only find the drain hole and fill hole for the transmission.
Going through the manual and it looks to like the 500's only change transmission oil and front grearcase (reference 05 manual, pg 78 - 79). The 700's have both front and rear gear cases, while the 500's have the rear drive gears integrated in to the transmission case.

So here is what I bought, Premium Synthetic AGL Gear Lube for the transmission and Angle Drive Fluid for the Front Gearcase.
rwhite35

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Russ for the confirmation!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Oops. My apologies. I did not know that the setup was so entirely different between engines on the same model year. My bad.
Happy Thanksgiving

1 - 12 of 12 Posts