Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 500 scrambler with Hot seat performance clutch kit and pipe. The machine is new to me, so I pulled down the clutch to check the clutch buttons and clean it. When I got the helix to come off, however, it really let go and I am not sure which hole it was in. There are 3 holes in the sheave, and it was in #2 in the helix. I reassembled it in the middle hole on the sheave and the 2 on the helix. It seemed to be opening the secondary a bit too soon and not revving as high on long pulls. I pulled it down again, and put it in #1 in the sheave, and 2 in the helix. It seems better, but just hoping others have the HSP kits on their machines and know what the recommended setup is. HSP website seemed a bit lacking on support literature. thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Did you pre load the secondary spring when putting it back together? You will need the helix in number 2 and the spring in 2 or 3 on the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dawg,
I did preload it- it was way loose the first time, so I realized it had to be twisted ahead of the pucks before seating the helix. I do have it in 2 on the helix, and I thought I put it in 1 on the clutch last night and it shifted better. Maybe it was 3. I know it was not 2, as that was where I 'guessed' the first time. Maybe I will try 3 tonite. thanks
Sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 scrambler with the hsp clutch kit and pipe and i have the spring in 2 on the helix and 2 on the clutch. did you notice a difference with the spring in the 3 position on in the clutch? i also have an intermittent vibration at mid to high speeds anyone know what that might be? Didn't really notice it until i put the clutch kit in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Helix position 2, and the clutch position in the tightest setting- I honestly can't remember if that is 1 or 3. I know I moved it a 3d time and it was spot on. Try 1, and if it goes together really easily, then it is 3. Pretty sure it was 3. It should be the one with the most preload. If you are happy at 2, leave it, but the tighter setting keeps it from shifting out of the power too soon. If you go the wrong way, you'll know because it will be a real dog. But the helix side is definitely 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks i appreciate your help. Did you ever have any kind of vibration with your clutch kit when it was new? i can really feel it in thee floorboards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It had the kit on it when I got it. It does vibrate at top end- I just assumed it was the tires and wheels, since they are not balanced, and don't have much pressure. I assume your belt is good?

·
Banned
8 Posts
04 scrambler Secondary Clutch settings

I do alot of off trail and after storm riding- so I geared down 23/43 and thought I would want quicker engagement. Im looking for more low end performance--dont care about top end. any suggestions for clutch set up or changes to accomplish this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts