Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie question here
I bought a 2004 sportsman 600 last year and it has been giving me trouble shifting starting this summer. Intermittently it does not want to shift. It is like the shift lever is stuck completely and other times it is shifting like nothing is wrong.
I was talking to a co-worker and he suggested a clutch kit because he thought my clutch was going bad. After installing an EPI kit a month or so ago it still is doing the same thing. One thing I do not like with the kit is that my rpm is much higher when it engages gear than before, like over 2400 rpm. It still idles as before just over 1000 RPM.
Can anyone give me any recommendations?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Yeah don't listen to that co-worker for advice anymore. Let's throw a performance item at a system that is improperly working :rolleyes:.

So when it doesn't want to shift are the idle RPM's higher then normal???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks... I wont :)
I can not say for sure that the rpms are higher than normal. I am really tempted to put the clutch back to factory since I kept the original parts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
OK - well then perhaps it can't be attributed to the lube - it's probably something to do with the linkage or something internal to the gearbox

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Well you'll have to identify if the shifting issue is happening during a high idle situation or not. So next time it doesn't want to shift chk your RPM's. If its not that we'll move I to the clutch itself.

And yes 2400rpm is a bit high for engagement. The only scenario I see that remotely acceptable is if you have a fully built mud machine. Shouldn't be higher then 2000rpm for belt engagement.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Yes - your gear case is the same as the 700 and you might have a similar problem - pressure washes are wonderful for getting dirt off and getting water into where it should not be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just opened that area up and it is bone dry. Should I grease it up? if so what kind of grease? Just an all purpose grease?

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Question for you GMC as I should have asked sooner. Is the shifting ever hard when the wheeler is off???

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Yeah lube that up but I'm still not sold it's the issue. I have a feeling it's on the clutch side not the tranny side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just put some grease in there and put it back together. I am going to look at the clutch side next

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
If it was out of alignment and therefore really dragging on the secondary you would be able to see the secondary spinning fast at idle with the engine running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was not spinning at all at idle

After I greased up the gears on the transmission side my indicator on the dash is off... must be I am 1 tooth off somehow so I guess I get to take that back apart... can't win with this thing!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts