Polaris ATV Forum banner

04 Sportsman 3WD???

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  04sportsman 
#1 ·
Read my entire post before responding. Took my Sportsman out today and realized its only spinning the left front tire in the front in 4wd. Right front does nothing, well doesn't drive at all. I know I probably have to clean out the hub assembly and possibly replace some sensors, but what I don't get is, the tire seems to be locking up. When going through the mud, I would actually get tossed sideways. I noticed too through a mud hole the tire didn't move. Also you can fell the handle bars pulling to the left pretty hard. I know this seems to be a common problem on these machines. My dads 03 is only 3wd at times. Nevrr heard of the tire locking up though. I know it shouldn't have anything to do with it,, but everything started going wronf when I changed out a bent A arm and swapped it with a piar I had from a 2000 Sportsman. I cross reference the parts and they were the same. Can anyone help me out here??

#2 · (Edited)
After reading your "entire post before resonding".... I'm going to assume you have a 400 or 500 model machine with hub hilliards and not a 600 or 700 with central hilliard.... as you did not give us all the pertinant details. Is this safe to assume?

- For either hub or central hilliards I'd guess you are in need of some new components.... you could have stripped splines/hubs, bad ball joint, a warped armature or maybe busted roller cage too. Hard to say without opening it up and taking a look see.

As for your tire that is not driving "hanging up" in the mud... they will tend to do that if not "pulling" (turning with awd system) as they are dead weight at that point, and will not drag through the mud with ease.

REF: 2004 400 & 500 w/ hub hilliard:

REF 2004 600 & 700 w/ Central hilliard:

If you put it up on jack stands and engage the awd.... what components spin and what don't?

#3 ·
Yes hub hillard. I did not know that the 600 and 700 have the central for I have never owned one. I thought they started that in 06. Only reason I wanted everybody to read the entire post is so you guys know exactly what's going on and things I have done to it, which shouldn't make a difference anyway. Also, I feel it jerk and vibration in 2wd also not just 4. Maybe I should have clarified.

#7 · (Edited)
You could try switching the the left and right plates if you don't wanna just throw cash at it. All depends on the time you've got to play with it. Then again, you could put in a new armature plate and find you wasted time and money :ponder:

The plate should be VERY flat and have tabs on the inner circumference that are at 90* to the plate.

You could try checking out this how to...
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...tch-troubleshooting-diagnoses.html#post216327

#6 ·
I think that would be the safe guess from what you found (posted).... they tend to be the week link in the hub style. Or sometimes the switch... but if the other is working I doubt it's the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.