Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so 1 I'm new to the forum. So if I missed this anywhere I apologise.
So I just picked up a 04 sportsman 400. I have a issue where the awd works in hi and low and not reverse. The override button doesn't seem to work and neither does the Speedo. The Speedo lights up a and the display shows. But I can't change any of the displays like I'm saposed to with the override button. I have torn down the switch and everything seems to be ok there (Some wear and dirt but seems to make proper connections)
Are thses signs the hall effect sensor is bad?

·
Registered
720 Posts
If the override button doesn't work then I'd change the entire switch panel on that side to see if that helps, also follow the wiring coming from it to make sure that none of them is damaged or broken. If the speedo isn't working than it may be the hall effect sensor, I don't think it would have anything to do with the override button not working though. Oh, and when you do get it all lined out remember that you have to hold the override button in to get AWD in reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well im hoping someone has had this happen. I have read that if the hall effect sensor is bad that it will not use awd in rev because it doesn't know the wheel speed. But that doesn't make much sents to me as it still allows in hi. Unless speed doesn't matter for awd in hi. (Like 4 on the fly). The speedo is locked on hrs. I guess that is also a sign. I have NOT gone through any of the wiring yet. So i will do that. Just looking to see if anyone has experienced the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
The reverse limiter module is part of the speedometer. So your problem might be in the speedo. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is any diagnostics for the speedo. Might be to just replace it with a known good piece. I will see if I can find anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts