Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 sportsman 400 is stuck in AWD, I have checked voltage down at the coil in the final drive. the power does cut out like it should. I have read that if the cage and rollers are bad it will cause it to hang up. I have noticed with the quad off and in low gear with the wheels raised I can turn each wheel forward but not backwards. If I reach in to the prop shaft and turn it back releasing the pressure off the front it the front wheels will rotate in both directions. with the front tires off the ground I started and drove the quad forward on my jack. the front wheels started turning right away as soon as the quad started moving forward with the selector for the awd in the off position. I just installed the final drive (bought off ebay) as the old one the coil had a broken wire off it. so I never had 4 wheel drive before. ebay seller says to his knowledge he never had any issues with the final drive. Your advise would be greatly appreciated before going through the work to remove the final drive to tear down for further inspection. I did inspect before assembling and cage looked Great!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Full time AWD. not the worst thing in the world

·
Registered
737 Posts
Your 400 has the 4wd in the hubs not in the diff right. In 04.5 they switched all the sportsmans to the centralized 4wd in the front diff. If it is in the hubs they are pretty sensitive. Did you use polaris fluid in the hubs. If the hubs don't have power when they are not supposed to I would think it has to be mechanical. I believe if you over torque the hub nut this can cause them to stay engaged.

If it is in the diff, like you read it is very common to be the cracked cage.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is in the Differntial. I inspected that cage when I had it apart. I tore my old differential apart yesterday to try to get a better understanding what could have gone wrong as I bought this differential on ebay last month to replace my old differential that had a broken wire. the one I tore apart to try to understand what other then a cage could cause this failure. I am assuming when the coil is energized it creates a magnetic field that holds the washer with the clips from free wheeling with the cage. I am wondering if over tightening the cover may cause the issues. although I don't mind full time AWD I am more concerned with causing premature failure. Yes I run only Polaris speced oil that's designed for the central differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts