Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 sportsman 500, I bought it about a year ago. When I bought it I did not realize it but it was stuck in 4 wheel drive all the time, and would not dis-engage, when we realized this, we changed out the oil in the front differential, tested it, and it was still doing same thing, stuck in 4 wheel drive. We left it like that because we did not mind it too much. When we took the 4 wheeler out for the first time this season we realized that it is now not engaging at all, but the light on the screen shows that it is engaging. So now the 4 wheeler is stuck in 2wd, and I do not know where to begin. I do not know much about 4 wheelers, so any help will be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It looks like there was 2 different front diffs that year, not sure which one you have. I am familiar with the one but not the other.

·
Registered
251 Posts
if you can provide the serial number, I am sure someone here can identify which model you have. You could try the picture too....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I am at work right now, but when I get home I will put both of them on here. I am off work tomorrow so hopefully I can help you figure out what one I have so that I can start diagnosing it tomorrow, thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
251 Posts
looks like mine. seems to cross parts numbers too based on what I can find so I am going to assume it is the same as the 600. The most likely problem is a broken roller cage in the front diff, but you can check the electrical fairly easy.... Follow the wires from the front diff to under the hood, unplug it from the harness, check the end going to the diff for continuity. (should be 25 ohms ish). If you have that resistance the coil in the diff is good. Plug it back in, and follow the other wires up to the speedo (mine were the brown/white). On my 600 it is pin 16 I had to check on the speedo harness, but you should be able to follow the wires. Anyway, turn on the AWD switch and check that pin to ground. Your looking for 12v dc, if it is there, your electrical is 98% good. If it checks out, then your problem is most likely mechanical, in which case the front diff needs to be taken apart to check it. read this post,http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/52008-no-awd-reverse.html . Also, instead of just pulling the diff you could try changing the oil first, but I would suspect broken roller cage..... The other possibility is the speedo is toast, which you will find in my link. But that is slim, unless you hooked up booster cables backwards, like myself.... good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I tested the electrical and everything tested good, I drained my front gear oil and there wasn't much in there but it was pretty clean, and didn't have any plastic or anything in it? Do you still think that I should pull it out or what?

·
Registered
251 Posts
if you replaced the oil and the electrical is good, it is either your roller cage or your speedo,if its still not working.,, speedo for my bike is in the 350 range, roller cage, rollers, armature plate and seal kit is in the 200 range (from John Deere), but you have to tear the bike down to get it out, its up to you. I would guess roller cage though. I just want to make sure that you know the AWD does not cut in until your back tires slip, flipping the switch only enables it. If your sure you have no AWD then I would probably pull the front diff. There is no other way of knowing if it is the cage without pulling it, but your electrical sounds like it is good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright I'm going to start getting the differential out, but I have a couple questions. How do I get the axles out of the differential, and how do I get the drive shaft out

·
Registered
251 Posts
Axles need a sharp jerk and should pull right out......drive shaft should have roll pin that you drive out and slide the shaft back. Assuming it's the same as the 600

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am attempting to get this thing apart, I cannot get the a arms off a I can't get anything else done, the top of the a arms spins when I get a bolt of one side. The bottom I have the nut off of but it won't come off. I have the hub off and tried pulling on the axel but it won't just pull out I don't think

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, after messing with it for a while I went and borrowed an air chisel from my boss, took a little bit but finally managed to chisel the axel loose, I got the differential out and, although my cage is not literally snapped or anything, there are definitely some plastic shavings in there, other than that everything in the differential looked good, I did notic one thing, it looked like plastic had burned on to on of the parts, I will post pictures of what I am talking about!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts