Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 04 sportsman 500. The wheels have no wiggle to them so I don't think the wheel bearings are bad. Yet when im driving it seems as if the right wheel isn't staying on an axis. Its almost as if the wheel is dancing while driving and i get up to like 8mph and its feels like its bouncing on the right side. Also the bikes transmission doesn't seem to shift you can put it in drove and go, put it in reverse and go, and low put it stays in that one gear and doesn't shift just goes up to the highest rpms and doesn't shift. It drives. it will go forward and in reverse with no noise in the tranny. The transmission oil was a little low so I filled it and it's still doing the same. Im thinking a sensor on the tranny or something. Any ideas or suggestions? Other than that the bike is fine everywhere else mechanically.

·
Registered
248 Posts
how is the idle on it? you can adjust the idle by turning the idle adjustment screw Clockwise - rpm increases, Counterclockwise - rpm decreases

Are all the lug nuts tight?

the shift linkage can be adjusted, sometimes the crankbells bend or snap, make sure they are straight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
how is the idle on it? you can adjust the idle by turning the idle adjustment screw Clockwise - rpm increases, Counterclockwise - rpm decreases
View attachment 154243

the shift linkage can be adjusted, sometimes the crankbells bend or snap, make sure they are straight.
View attachment 154243

The idle is fine it'll sit there and idle all day the auto transmission doesn't shift out to make my rpms drop in my engine while driving in high or low. Can the clutch cause the rpms not to drop down. Isn't that what controls the rpms to simulate a "shift".

·
Super Moderator
15,597 Posts
The idle is fine it'll sit there and idle all day the auto transmission doesn't shift out to make my rpms drop in my engine while driving in high or low. Can the clutch cause the rpms not to drop down. Isn't that what controls the rpms to simulate a "shift".
Nope. A CVT is NOTHING like an automatic car transmission. It doesn't perceptibly "shift" that you can feel or that changes RPM. The clutches shift and change ratios "continuously" as in Continuously Variable Transmission. The whole idea is that it DON'T change RPM. Its seamless.

A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is an automatic transmission that can change seamlessly through a continuous range of gear ratios. This contrasts with other transmissions that provide a limited number of gear ratios in fixed steps. The flexibility of a CVT with suitable control may allow the engine to operate at a constant RPM while the vehicle moves at varying speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. A CVT is NOTHING like an automatic car transmission. It doesn't perceptibly "shift" that you can feel or that changes RPM. The clutches shift and change ratios "continuously" as in Continuously Variable Transmission. The whole idea is that it DON'T change RPM. Its seamless.

A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is an automatic transmission that can change seamlessly through a continuous range of gear ratios. This contrasts with other transmissions that provide a limited number of gear ratios in fixed steps. The flexibility of a CVT with suitable control may allow the engine to operate at a constant RPM while the vehicle moves at varying speeds.
So would it my clutch stopping the bike from changing out of the first rpm ratio? The bike runs fine i don't hear any trans grinding it just only goes like 10mph and the rpms get high so i let out the gas. Seems as if its doing the same as this post here. 99 Sportsman 335 Won't shift into second

·
Super Moderator
15,597 Posts
If you put it in LOW range it STAYS in low range. If you put it in HIGH range it runs in high range only. You have to stop to change between low and high or reverse or neutral.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you put it in LOW range it STAYS in low range. If you put it in HIGH range it runs in high range only. You have to stop to change between low and high or reverse or neutral.
Yea but in high the bike should go over 10mph. It doesn't without the rpms being so high it'll blow up the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea but in high the bike should go over 10mph. It doesn't without the rpms being so high it'll blow up the bike.
I also dont know what you mean by stays in low range. I just know if i shift into low it only goes like 4mph before having to let out the gas so the motor wont blow, same goes for high except i get to like 10mph.

·
Administrator
18,796 Posts
It may simply be a worn out belt, but the clutches are probably due for service also - unless the belt is new, have a new belt installed when the clutches are serviced.

Reactions: 710Man
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.