Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 04 Sportsman 600 and the fan isn't coming on far as I can tell, I've ran it for a bit and it did come on but I put a meter on plug and theres 14 volts there while running. Plug the fan in and it doesn't run. I hooked the fan direct to the battery and it ran fine. So I ended hooking it to a switch so I could use the bike but afer running the fan for a few minutes the fan starts getting a little noisy. So heres my questions.

How long should the bike be at an idle for before the fan comes on?
Is there a warning light before it over heats?
Why is there voltage at the plug but when you plug tha fan in it doesn't run?
Is there a way to grease the bearings in the fan?
Is there a cheaper replacement than a fan from a dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Possible fix for your fan

My 04 Sportsman did the same thing. ONe minute the plug would show 12 volts, and the next nothing. Sometimes the fan would kick on, and sometimes it wouldn't. If you trace down from the plug you are talking about, it runs about 12 inches down to the bottom of the radiator. It's connected to the thermostat that cuts the fan on. Mine had a short in it right where the wires ran into the actual thermostat. The thermostat just screws into the bottom of the radiator. It's $65.00 plus tax. YOu'll have to put some type of high temp sealant on the threads when installing the new one. The actual thermostat consists of the thermostat with a 12" pigtail/plug attached. You'll probably have to order it. They said that it happens a lot.

I always go to polarispartshouse.com and click on "OEM parts" tab in the upper left hand of the screen. Just go from there and pull up your particlar model ATV, and you can look up the part you need, so you'll know what to tell the parts place you need by part number. it Helps out

1 - 2 of 2 Posts