Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just purchased a 2004 Sportsman 700, 138 miles, original owner. Was looking for a good 500 but found this. What can I expect from this machine? Reliable,any red flags? Also, what would you recommend be done before using? There is no back up recoil on these, what is the best way of minimizing getting stuck with a dead battery? So many questions, excited about the quad, also has a warn winch and 60 inch plow, never been used. Is this machine as good as a 500? Thank You For All Answers, doubledeuce

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would do a good PM on the machine. Change rear diff/tranny fluid, engine oil/filter and front diff fluid. Grease up all the zerks. Just so you know where you're starting from as far as maintenance is concerned. I would also invest I a Battery Tender to keep the battery at peak performance.
Pick up or download a service manual too. Worth their weight in gold for the do-it-yourself type of person

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would do a good PM on the machine. Change rear diff/tranny fluid, engine oil/filter and front diff fluid. Grease up all the zerks. Just so you know where you're starting from as far as maintenance is concerned. I would also invest I a Battery Tender to keep the battery at peak performance.
Pick up or download a service manual too. Worth their weight in gold for the do-it-yourself type of person

Good advice to start with.

I might add to flush the antifreeze and give it a fresh start, check your brakes and brake fluid too. Just make sure they work properly. Hitting the throttle is one thing, stopping is another:). By doing your do diligence, with some simple maintenance checks will not only help the machine but your confidence as well.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Chk front and rear wheels for play in bearings, bushings, tie rods, ball joints, and loose bolts.

·
Registered
806 Posts
All of the above preventative maint plus I would pop the belt cover off and blow out the clutches w/ air & check the belt. I always "nut & bolt" every vehicle we get to make sure everything is correctly attached and where it needs to be. If its and EFI there's a couple good threads on here that cover the 2 "major" problems they can have(but not all of them have those problems). I have an 04 w/ right at 5000 miles. Its a great machine, lots of power and reliable. The only thing I would say to get right away would be new tires. The stock ones sucked especially w/ the power that 2 cylinder has.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
This is "spot-on" advise!!
But to expound on this a little.... Personally when I buy a machine (ATV or Car/Truck), the first thing I do is a full fluids change (or at least Tranny fluid check/inspection). Just so I have a "warm fuzzy" and a good starting point to base my maintenance from.

But on an ATV I'd surely change the following (and my personal advise/opinion.... for what it's worth).....

1) Engine Oil and Filter - Pick your favorite flavor..... any "good" synthetic at or very close to manf. recommended weight. (Many here either use Polaris 5W50 or Mobil 1 0W40 and either the Polaris filter or "Good" aftermarket brand - For me it's Mobil 1 & Purolator).

2) Front Diff & Hubs - (The vast majority stick stricktly with Polaris brand fluids.)

3) Rear Diff & Trans (Here again you'll find the vast majority stick stricktly with Polaris brand fluids.)

4) Fuel - On that age and low mileage..... you may want to drain/suck out the fuel and put in new fresh fuel. ( I always add the recimmended dose of "SeaFoam" to my gas cans and/or tank to keep things stable and clean!!)

5) Air Filter & Pre Filter - At a minimum at least inspect and blow off any dust if fairly clean.... if dirty replace.

6) Spark Plug(s) - Kinda a PITA to change..... see how it runs, change if it runs rough or starts hard after all else of the above has been completed. (If used - allow the SeaFoam work it's "magic" for a couple rides first!!)

7) Anti-Freeze & Brake Fluids - Though it would be a good idea to change..... at a minimum inspect, test (anit-freeze) and top off if needed, with recommended flavor of your favorite brand.

8) Inspect Belt & Clean Clutches - Just remove the clutch cover and blow the cluches out with compressed air and inspect belt edges and sheave surfaces. (But at 140 miles..... may not be worth it, but good "learn your machine" experiance and bonding time!!)

9) Grease all Zerks - Use a good suspension grease and give them a few pumps. For the suspension bushing zerks, until you see the old squeeze out! (I'm personally a Mobil 1 fan.... so I used the Red Synthetic stuff!)

10) Check Electrical - Always know your machine.... check all lights, switches and levers for propper function!!

11) Owners Manual - Read it.... or at the very least skim it!!! (Touch on the "hand control functions" for sure!!)

Really isn't anything special to look out for..... Ride and Have Fun!!! If anything breaks..... fix it and continue to ride and have fun!!!

Side Notes:

1) Use Low Gear if @ or Under 10 mph!

2) Shift gears from a complete stop!

Here are a couple helpful links :D ..... http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/2004/2004%20Sportsman%20700%20MV%20-%20SM.pdf -&- Index of /ORV Manuals

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
"major" problems

I apologize for hijacking the OP, but I am reading this with great interest as I am buying an 05 700efi from a buddy of mine. 1350 miles (2500.00) IDK if that is a good deal or not but the machine is in real good shape. Fishhooker...you mentioned to Doubledeuce about there being 2 "major problems" that can afflict the 700efis???? What are those? I tried the search function and didn't find any threads. - thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The only 2 issues I can think of that are pretty common to the 700 are the ignition systems and water pumps. Other than that, pretty much bullet proof in my experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey there, I picked up a 2002 700 carb (if yours is a carb , my ideas may apply, probably some updates since 02 for your 04 tho)

so far, did all the fluids, no biggy, my 700 had the carb intake boot crack and eventually wouldn't start (lean, think changing the air filter broke the cracks loose enough to not want to start) so replaced that, had to replace the o-ring in the valve cover, was leaking oil (think it was bad from day 1 other owner only had 70 hours and 100 miles on it, so probably just didn't look)....

ummm... think thats about it...

Its a noisy machine, definalhy not honda, but has tons o power. looking forward to our first decent snowfall here and using the plow.

everyone else's advice is good. have fun and enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts