Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 sportsman 700 efu that I was riding and all of a sudden I heard like clicking or knocking and I lost power. Then after inspecting I can't start it anymore it just turns over with struggle. What could it be I am hoping something cheap haha? Is it a blown engine? It has a new battery and new voltage regulator but doubt engine power cutting out and knocking noise is electrical

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
14,088 Posts
I have a 2004 sportsman 700 efu that I was riding and all of a sudden I heard like clicking or knocking and I lost power. Then after inspecting I can't start it anymore it just turns over with struggle. What could it be I am hoping something cheap haha? Is it a blown engine? It has a new battery and new voltage regulator but doubt engine power cutting out and knocking noise is electrical
Font Window Pattern Screenshot Automotive exterior
to the forum
Gas Font Automotive lighting Ball Vehicle registration plate

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
14,088 Posts
How much oil was on the dipstick when you herd all the racket?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get it not a crystal ball, that is why I am here to get feed back. So what I meant was I do not see any fluid leaks, I checked oil level and it all looks good. So you mention pulling the clutch cover off, See if I broke a belt. Thank you for that I will check that would be awesome if it was, but wouldn't it start and run if it was a belt? I just assumed if belt it would just not move but it will run. I don't know not an expert in small engines. I am cleaning an area in the garage to start stripping it down so I can work on it this week.

·
Super Moderator
15,885 Posts
Ordinarily it would still start after blowing a belt. But if the belt came apart and some of the cords and stuff tangled around the primary it would make noises as you described and could have the primary fouled so it "turns over with struggle" per your description and therefore can't crank fast enough to start. Its just something that's easy to check.
Also, if you find that the belt isn't the problem, you can pull the belt off and turn the motor by hand with the clutch to try to determine what the problem actually is. Might want to drain the oil into a clean pan while you're at it so it can be inspected for metal.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We can throw ideas out all day long, but the fact remains you need to start testing and/or tearing things apart to find out exactly what happened.

My first course of action would be a leakdown test, just to see if the valves and rings are still intact. If that checks out, see if it'll turn over better without the spark plug in. If not, yank the belt cover to rule out the belt wrapping tight around the back or the outside the clutch. Now see if you can move the engine by hand getting a socket wrench on the clutch bolt. If difficult to move, remove the opposite side cover (For the stator and starter drive IF I'm not confusing the Jap machines with this one ...) to make sure everything is good in there.

If all that checks out, now it's time to dive into the engine.

·
Super Moderator
15,885 Posts
If it takes a wrench to turn the motor, something is definitely wrong. He may also inadvertently loosen the clutch bolt too since it loosens in the direction of engine rotation. But either method will work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We can throw ideas out all day long, but the fact remains you need to start testing and/or tearing things apart to find out exactly what happened.

My first course of action would be a leakdown test, just to see if the valves and rings are still intact. If that checks out, see if it'll turn over better without the spark plug in. If not, yank the belt cover to rule out the belt wrapping tight around the back or the outside the clutch. Now see if you can move the engine by hand getting a socket wrench on the clutch bolt. If difficult to move, remove the opposite side cover (For the stator and starter drive IF I'm not confusing the Jap machines with this one ...) to make sure everything is good in there.

If all that checks out, now it's time to dive into the engine.
Gotcha, I finally got time to pull it in the garage, and stripped down some of the fenders so I can start getting to the engine area to troubleshoot. I never did a leak down test if I google that I assume I may get guidance. I should be able to report more in a few days. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I was able to take the belt drive cover half way off and it looks like belt was mangled and melted. So I know I have to get a new belt. I got some stripped screws to take care of before I can take the cover completely off. So what is the process to check the primary and sec9ndary clutch as well as the motor is still good? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,885 Posts
Not sure what "half way off " means or what that white goop is either... But it ain't off a belt. Sorta looks like clear silicone sealant?
Whatever the case, both clutches need to be removed, cleaned, disassembled, inspected and any worn parts replaced and a new quality belt installed.

·
Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
1,558 Posts
Don’t need to lift it if there’s no belt. You can generally check the primary by running, but the secondary should be disassembled.

·
Super Moderator
15,885 Posts
On second look, I think what I saw as white goop is just the lighting angle.
Sure, you can clean the debris out and see if the engine will start. Or remove the spark plug and roll the engine over by hand without starting. No need to jack it up without a belt on it can't move. But the way those belt fragments are wedged down in the one-way I think you're gonna have problems unless you service both clutches.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts