Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shifting from low to reverse some times the linkage gets stuck .It also seems like it is hard shifting from high to low ,just seems like it takes alot of effort to shift ??
its a 500 ho 2004

·
Registered
505 Posts
Make sure the rims are back down before trying to switch gears

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you may need to adjust shift linkage...and is your idle rpm high..that can cuase hard shifting...there was a thread here not long ago where OP had same problem...it was a worn part on tranny where shift rods went to an also rust on the inside...wish I could help more

·
Registered
424 Posts
On the side of the transmission where the shift linkage attaches there are two gears(31T&16T)? inside that wear out also the bushing if no bushing the housing cover itself that the shifter gears are in wears out, or the detent pawl stop is sticking either way it's usually gooey and rusty in there and a good cleaning and new grease sometimes helps. How many hours/miles on this? The new gears are about $20 a piece and worth a change. And yes what is the RPM set at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the info . It has around 225 hours and 1100 ish miles on it and the isle is around 1200 . It doe shift easier when its not running

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another thing that causes hard shifting is when your drive belt is still turning at idle. Is your bike "creeping" a little? A sure sign it's your belt causing your tranny clutch to turn when it's easier to shift with the engine off. Take off your clutch cover and watch it when your running the engine at idle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sorry should have asked before how old is the belt? Should replace it can't hurt it's fairly cheap and eliminates a variable. My shift gears were worn out on my 700 with 1200 hours on it depends how much yuck got into the case rust is not our friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing that causes hard shifting is when your drive belt is still turning at idle. Is your bike "creeping" a little? A sure sign it's your belt causing your tranny clutch to turn when it's easier to shift with the engine off. Take off your clutch cover and watch it when your running the engine at idle.
I think this is whats going on .It acts like the clutch isn't disengaging and it does creep . Do these clutchs need cleaning once in awhile ???

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think this is whats going on .It acts like the clutch isn't disengaging and it does creep . Do these clutchs need cleaning once in awhile ???[/QUOTE]

Yes they do need a cleaning usually a good blow job with air clears out the dust and grime also brake cleaner does a good job as well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Again...yes , they do need a good blowjob, who doesn't? lol You will be surprised how much belt dust is in there when you use compressed air to blow it out.
Your creeping is probably belt misalignment. It has to run in the center of the primary clutch. Take a look at it and even run the engine with the cover off to see what it's doing. At idle , the belt shouldn't be moving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts