Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 04 Sportsman 600 and the fan isn't coming on far as I can tell, I've ran it for a bit and it did come on but I put a meter on plug and theres 14 volts there while running. Plug the fan in and it doesn't run. I hooked the fan direct to the battery and it ran fine. So I ended hooking it to a switch so I could use the bike but afer running the fan for a few minutes the fan starts getting a little noisy. So heres my questions.

How long should the bike be at an idle for before the fan comes on?
Is there a warning light before it over heats?
Why is there voltage at the plug but when you plug tha fan in it doesn't run?
Is there a way to grease the bearings in the fan?
Is there a cheaper replacement than a fan from a dealer?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fan Problems

I recently had problems with my 2007 800 Sportsman. The engine would overheat after only a few minutes of slow riding. The fan would run for a while and then shut off even though the HOT indicator was still flashing on the display. I disconnected the temp sensor on the cylinder head and the fan would come on, but only for about 20 seconds. Sometimes the fan would just jerk without running.

There is a circuit breaker in the fan circuit that is in a sealed bag under the upper headlight. The bag is supposed to keep out water, but looks like it holds water in better than it keeps it out. Anyway, the water had caused the contacts inside the circuit breaker to corrode and when the fan would run for any length of time, the circuit breaker would overheat and open the circuit to the fan.

You can get the circuit breaker for less than $10 at an automotive parts store. I think it is a 20 amp breaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts