Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my 2nd Polaris after I sell my Arctic Cat Mud Pro. My first one was a 2005 Sportsman 700 EFI.....and it left me with a terrible first impression of Polaris. Constant overheating, belt, and electrical issues. But I'm looking to give Polaris another shot due to the way the ones I ride with hold up vs other brands.

Now that that little bit of background info is out of the way here is what I'm wondering.

What are the differences in the 2011 and newer 500's and 800's vs the 2005-2010's aside from the different plastic. Is there enough of a benefit of the '11& up to justify spending the extra money on it that could otherwise be used to build an older model?

Are there any common issues with the older ones that were resolved in the '11&up's?

And are there any major problems with any of the 500's and 800's?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Both have bullet proof engines. The chassis is more rider forward. The radiator position is higher on the new chassis which I really like. I got the 13 800 and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More rider forward? On which?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
On the new chassis. I find it more comfortable. Easier to handle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On which? 05-10 or 11+?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well I got the 2013 so that's what I'm talking bout

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it sound with the swamp xl? Still like a bumblebee?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Lol no I wouldn't say that. It sounds good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any overheating or belt problems?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Nope not at all. One time going deep in water I got water in the clutch housing but that was it. Drained it and went riding with in 5 min

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
851 Posts
No over heat problems at all on mine in 11 and newer they went to a team secondary clutch, moved the engine back 2 or 3 inches and went to a one piece transmission and rear end I do wish they had the dual exhaust ! From the older ones and yes mine sounded like a bumble bee with a pipe on it imo I'd go for the 11 and newer if u can !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 700 sounded like a bumble bee is why I said that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But if I can't find an '11 or bewer within my range are the 05-10's good? My 700 was a mistake, it was in horrible condition so I'm looking past it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5000-6000 depending on what I get out of my Mud Pro. I don't take loans out on stuff I don't need. And I'm from Laurel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

2010 Mud Pro 700 2" lift, HD tie rods and tie rod ends, Speedwerx exhaust, and 30" Moto Monsters on Crushers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts