Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help, my 500 atp ,when i turn unit on and startit, it runs fine untill i turn on the headlamps,them it shuts down, i have replaced the ecm but it was no help.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
makes me wonder if your stator is going bad. im thinking that once you turn on the headlights and require the extra voltage, the stator is not able to continue to put out enough volts to run all the electrical, so you loose the required volts to run componets like the ECU, thus shutting down the machine. thats just a first impression guess

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2005 Sportsman 500HO was doing the exact same thing. Had the ECM replaced under recall for free and issue was solved. How long ago was the ECM replaced and was the replacement ECM new or used? URL="http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08193.html"]http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08193.html[/URL]

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
donwest, you bring up a good point.

billnate, if you PM your vin# i can run it on the dealer site and check to see if you have a pending ECM recall or not. only takes a few minutes to do. various 04-06 models fell under the recall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok,here you are. i have replaced ecm with new and lt handlebar switch this week. i still have the problem,with key in on poss. i have taillamps.with lt handlebar brake lever locked on and i turn key on,i have no power,the red/wht stripe wire is going to grd. with all hdlps disc and brake lever not locked i have power and unit runs fine,ive checked stator,yellow wires do not go to grd and have continuity between them. with engine running i have 14.5 vlts @batt. with key on and engine not running i have 12.4vlts on batt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't have access to a wiring diagram at work and can't download one. Sounds like a short in the light/brake circuit causing ecm to fail. Everything is tied together..if I remember, the cooling fan was even tied into the wiring to the light switch. What year is your 500? I'll try to find a diagram for it to offer suggestions on where to look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
lights

With your key in on position, your tail lights should be on. My 2002, 2003 and 2005 Sportsman machines all operate as you describe. I still haven't found a diagram but can't access http://pdfdatabase.com/wiring-diagram-polaris-sportsman-500.html from this PC. It still sounds to me like a short in your brake light/tail light circuit or a bad ECM. I know you replaced the ECM but it's possible to have received a bad one with as many that were recalled. If you haven't had your machine in for the recall, it's free and may eliminate your headache....maybe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ecm

ok,here you are. i have replaced ecm with new and lt handlebar switch this week. i still have the problem,with key in on poss. i have taillamps.with lt handlebar brake lever locked on and i turn key on,i have no power,the red/wht stripe wire is going to grd. with all hdlps disc and brake lever not locked i have power and unit runs fine,ive checked stator,yellow wires do not go to grd and have continuity between them. with engine running i have 14.5 vlts @batt. with key on and engine not running i have 12.4vlts on batt.
Hi Bill and the rest of you ATVers, Can I buy your old ECM off you? I cannot find one anywhere and Polaris does not have any new ones 2203348 since August. My bike has been down since then and still the part is on back order. I want to get my bike up and running so I can trade it in to a Polaris dealer for another ATV, before it depreciates into a hunk of junk, metal. The Company's customer service is nothing less than a ...I won't say. Is anyone out there on this forum by chance have a spare new ECM 2203348 or a good running old one I could buy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts