Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like many of you do not want to shell out $400 bucks or so for a new fuel pump so I did some detective work.

I found out that the original fuel pump for my 05 800 Sportsaman was made by airtex and after some digging arround I was able to find a comparable pump that is made by BOSCH ( alot bester in my opinion ).

So if you need to replace yours just head down to your local Advance Auto and ask for part number 69222 and dont forget the strainer FS3. :zahn:

I paid a total of $87.20 :rockwoot:

It is a perfect fit!

This is only a fuel pump so if your fuel gauge is acting up then you will have to buy the whole unit from Polardass.

SS

·
Registered
409 Posts
Replacement pump/send?

I like many of you do not want to shell out $400 bucks or so for a new fuel pump so I did some detective work.

I found out that the original fuel pump for my 05 800 Sportsaman was made by airtex and after some digging arround I was able to find a comparable pump that is made by BOSCH ( alot bester in my opinion ).

So if you need to replace yours just head down to your local Advance Auto and ask for part number 69222 and dont forget the strainer FS3. :zahn:

I paid a total of $87.20 :rockwoot:

It is a perfect fit!

This is only a fuel pump so if your fuel gauge is acting up then you will have to buy the whole unit from Polardass.

SS
Has anybody further researched for a complete Pump/send replacement?

I had a problem with my `07 800 efi where it kept reading low fuel
with the speedo flashing and everything even with a full tank.

I read somewhere on the net that that the float gets stuck and could
be moved with a coat hanger. Well tried that and still had the flashing
speedo. Took the pump out 2 times trying to move the float arm and
still nothing.

I couldn't stand seeing the speedo flashing like it was going crazy
and came to the conclusion the float itself was saturated. Tried searching
the net for a replacement float but didn't come with anything. So I just cut
off the float arm and zip tied it up to the full position where the gas gauge reads full all the time and got a mechanical gauge custom made in the cap.

I know the mechanical isn't accurate but it at least tells me when to start
popping of the cap to keep an eye on things closer.

Wish I would've found this site last year as maybe there is a replacement
float I could've got. I may have jumped the gun cutting off the float arm now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem. The float just sinks like a rock! Any Idea if it can be sealed? I called the dealership, but they haven't called back.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You can also use these:

O'Reilly's:
Airtex E8198 pump only
Airtex FS111 Strainer (just bought one today)

NAPA:
NFP P72118 pump comes with strainer, NAPA on the box but made by Carter
AFP E8198 pump only; Airtex
BSH N69496 Bosch pump
DFP FE0055 Delphi pump
DFP FS0070 Delphi strainer

If you forget, then just ask for a fuel pump for a 1992 Hyundai Sonata, any engine size.

A fuel gauge reading empty all the time is usually because the float has a hole in it and has filled up with fuel, causing it to sink to the bottom.

To replace it:
Fuel Level Float The first one and the third one will work.

At the moment, I'm waiting on a fuel pressure regulator to arrive. I've talked with the manufacturer's engineer and he believes it will work as a replacement for the in-tank regulator on my 2006 700 EFI. More to follow...

Once I get the regulator and I have made sure it works, I intend to post some tutorial-type threads with pictures and instructions. I will include instructions for removing the fuel tank sending unit and replacing the pump & the regulator individually, and how the gauge sender works on the inside of the tank along with what to look for if it's not working.

Stew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found OEM Airtex fuel pump on Amazon. The E8198 fuel pump is about $55 and the strainer is another $5 or $7 depending on which model you need. I have a query into Airtex to find out the proper strainer part number. The unit I pulled out of my tank doesn't have a part number that I've been able to find. The current price for a Polaris tank kit is nearly $600. So a fuel pump motor is a lot easier to swallow than having to buy a complete tank kit. Plus you have to add the foil protection kits and other parts to go with the new tank. All for having a pump go bad.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
update on airtex items

I talked with the Airtex Line manager today regarding the Airtex E8198 fuel pump. He does not believe that the Airtex fuel pump was OEM for Polaris. Even though the fuel pump I pulled out of my tank is a Airtex E8198 pump. He thinks the previous owner might have replaced the original pump, which is possible since my ATV was 5 years old when I bought it. He thought that Bosch probably was the OEM who supplied the pump. But in the end my unit has been working fine for the last 4 years, so I'm putting another new Airtex unit back in my tank.

Regarding the fuel strainer part numbers. This topic started off with stating to use a fs3 strainer filter. The Airtex fs3 will not fit a E8198 pump. The strainer filters that do fit are the fs111 and fs150. These are push on fitting parts, so having the right part is necessary. I don't know which of these two units will be correct for my tank. The two units are the same overall size, just the placement of the hole is different. So I've ordered both parts and will see which one looks to be the same as the one I'm taking out of my tank. I'll follow up later. The strainers are cheap enough that tossing one out isn't going to kill me. Besides, replacing just the pump and strainer is a whole lot cheaper than buying a whole fuel tank plus new foil heat shields and whatever other parts Polaris is making us buy.

Amazon sells these parts. So free shipping is offered when bundled together. My total cost is less than $80 for both strainers and the pump. That sure beats the minimum Polaris tank/pump/sender unit at $600 from my friendly dealer. :)

Dennis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know where I can get the whole assembly? It is the one mounted with the 5 phillips screws and not the twist-cap style? 2005 - 800 twin - efi

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cleaned the assembly as good as I could and installed an O'Rylies 1992 Subaru Sonata fuel pump and it is running fine with 42# pressure! Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts