Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 05 800 sportsman sounds like the clutch is make a loud noise wen i take off and slow down almost like it is sticking any help please ?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If i were you...i'd take the belt cover off and check the belt and operation of the clutch and see what its doing...you may just need to replace a slappy belt....Muddie49

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is like a clanking noise when i hit bigger bumps and take off and slow down i can hear it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
sounds like rear driveshaft U joint's mine did the same sorta thing, put your machine in nutral and move the joint by hand, should not move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 08 800 Touring is making noise like that but I do not see a rear U-joint. The rear diff and trans seem to be one unit now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i wiggle it it has a small bit of play in it. But when i move the whole 4 wheeler back in forth it moves

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would put all corners on jack stands and spin it, see if you can make the noise, you should be able to find it then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
just bought a 05 800 sportsman sounds like the clutch is make a loud noise wen i take off and slow down almost like it is sticking any help please ?
1 month ago I purchased the same bike (2005 Sportsman 800 EFI) with about 130 hours on it. I have just recently noticed that when I let the bike come to rest on its own I hear a "clicking" noise just before the bike stops. This happens when going forward and in reverse. Is this the same issue you are having?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eh' I'd check to see if ANYTHING may be inside the clutch vent. I couldn't find a socket that I was using oneday while tooling on my ATV. A week later BANG-BOOM-THUD... I found the socket had lodged on the inside of the driven-pulley and had exploded my clutch pulley! Fortunately (sarcasm) it was the only part on the clutch assembly that was NOT availible for individual sale and I had to buy the entire clutch... My $1.00 socket cost me $550!

·
Registered
3 Posts
how many miles on the bike? I have a 05 and at about 4200 miles I started getting noise from my primary clutch. The cause was the primary clutch movable sheave bushing was worn, and the weight pins were loose, causing the weights to rattle at idle. Also those quads only engine brake on the rear wheels. There is alot of slack from new in the transmission in the chain, and when letting off the throttle down hill it will make a bad rattling noise as well. One thing about polaris clutches is if you go the parts department and ask for there clutch kits. The part number is:2876211 and you get a new primary, secondary, belt, and EBS sticker for like $601.99.(cad) Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts