Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 05 Magnum 330 4x4 that the fan won't shut off even with key off and the hot engine warning is on even though it hasn't ran in a couple days. ...I bought the machine off of a friend who said he just had the ecm replaced and it was running fine when I bought it...I don't use it much so when I went to start it the battery was dead so I charged it and then sat for a while again. I jump started it with a portable battery pack and then the symptoms started where the hot engine light came on and the fan won't shut off even with key off. ...(the battery polarity connection was correct).... ok i did some searching on the subject before posting and did the following....checked for bare wires...did not find any although there was a stinking mouse nest under the front cover where wires and ecm are located grrrr!....pulled the thermister checked continuity at meter set at 200k read 150 ... air temp 60 degrees. put thermister in hot water observed resistance go down as water heated...so not sure what it should read or as long as resistance changes that shows it works? .... I also checked voltage from ecm and it read 5.0 volts coming from the ecm.....My questions are could it be the charging of the battery adversely affected the ecm and if that is the case would I still get 5 volts coming from it when vehicle key on? or could it be bad anyways. ... also does the thermister appear to be working? other post had a higher resistance. ...my hunch is when i charged the battery something went wrong with ecm...just trying to figure where to go before purchasing a new ecm or thermister...seems like no one posts after they discover the problem other than a few "oh wire was loose replies" .I'm not a mechanic obviously but can follow instructions ...i think my first post was in the wrong forum so i am reposting oops

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Pretty sure when the fan stays on after the ignition is shut off = Bad ECM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, I am real close to pulling the trigger and buying a new one (i see they run about $180), anyway of checking to determine if it is a bad ecm w/out buying a new one first?

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's a pdm not ecm, and they were known to short and catch fire. Unhook your battery and call a dealer. There was a bulletin to repair this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pdm is correct...Problem solved I replaced the pdm and put in a new battery just in case anyone else has same issue...seems common. Thanks for the guidance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts