Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. the flywheel in this quad sheered the bolts on the backside of the flywheel which is the reason i took it off and put a new one in. I also noticed that it had sheared the woodruff key off so i changed it. I put it back together today and it started idoled. turned it back off then went to turn it on again and just backfires. took it apart and the woodruff key was sheared off again... any suggestions or ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem with my 06 Predator. Does your bike seem to be turning over slower then it should when you try to start it because mine does. It almost seems like there's a drag on the engine. I did read something from someone else about if the flywheel nut is to tight it while keep the engine from cranking fast enough to start. I'm going attempt to pull it apart tonight and retorque the nut at a little less then what is suggested and see if that helps. It worked for someone else, can't hurt to try.

tell me what you think of this. 2006 polaris predator 500. - JustAnswer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks for the reply man. Its been a while and i still haven't figured it out but i think i will try that. Did it end up working for you? I apologize for taking so long

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah so I ended up doing some more research about the issue and also bought the service manual that the dealerships use. The book calls for the nut to be torqued at 111-125 ft lbs. everywhere I read online said it had to be torqued at 125 ft lbs exactly. Only a few people said to go a little less. I decided to go with the larger response of 125. First i made sure the woodruff key was in nice and straight. Put everything back together and then torqued the flywheel nut at 125 ft lbs and then gave it a little extra turn to make sure it was nice and snug, I also used loctite on the threads to make sure it didn't loosen up on me later. Put the cover back on, added some oil, turned the key, hit the starter button and BOOM she fired up immediately and ran great. That was maybe 3 months ago and I haven't had any issues with it and we go riding almost every weekend. So that's the long version of my advice hahaha. Best of luck to you. Let me know how you make out. Oh and one more piece of advice buy a few extra woodruff keys, they are only $7 each and it's good to have them on hand just incase you don't get it right the first time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts