Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a 2005 Sportsman 800 tomorrow. 1850 miles. rear seat and winch. looks clean. $3,800. Anything I should look for or be cautious of? Have these bikes had any common problems? Also found an 04 500ho with only 125 miles for $3,500 or bo. Any thoughts on either?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't think there were ever any recalls on the 800s. Others can chime in who know far more than me on this model. This is the first year of the 800.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nothing wrong with that model atv. Just go through the normal checks before purchasing.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Either would be a good machine..... I personally would opt for the 2005 for body sytling in itself (and 800 power... but the 800 is a thirsty beast!), but I feel the 2005 is mechanically the better option also. As in any Polaris the front differencial is the source of most common issue (but it's also reviered as the best in the industry also!!). In the 2005 the front diff (central hilliard) uses parts that can be sourced through John Deer which are cheaper..... if issue should ever arise.

As stated, just make sure everything works propperly! There have been a few threads in the past in regards to what you should look for and over.... try a search of the forum.

EDIT: Here is a recent "what to look for" type thread: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-purchasing-price/50633-buying-used-atv.html

Just for comparison.... This last spring I bought the wife's 2005 Sportsman 400 for $3200 with 1700'ish miles, Warn 2500# winch and Eagle Plow system. It was (and still is) in very good shape for a 2005 (8-9 year old machine) Asking price was $3700. Ended up selling the plow system for $300.... so I basically picked it up for $2900 plus my travel gas (2 trips @ ~ $70). At the time $3800 was book value.

So don't be afraid to offer $3000 cash if it turns out to be a good and clean machine.... and actually get it for $3200-3500. This would be a good fair price for a clean machine.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
05 800

make sure to ride it for awhile let it get up to temp check coolant for oil and oil in coolant check oil after u rode fro awhile ride some more dont jump on and buy i have an 06 800 and should have checked it out better.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
make sure to ride it for awhile let it get up to temp check coolant for oil and oil in coolant check oil after u rode fro awhile ride some more dont jump on and buy i have an 06 800 and should have checked it out better.
Moral of the story...... "buyer be ware"!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which one

I have a 06 800 with over 8k miles, one fuel tank bushing ods and ends I am on my 2nd belt . The 05 will steer better turn sharper nicer machine. If you buy the 800 wrap the exhaust with header tape. I have always gotten 65 or 70 miles before the fuel light flashes. My buddies 500 gets 80 or 85. Jim:)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a 06 800 with over 8k miles, one fuel tank bushing ods and ends I am on my 2nd belt . The 05 will steer better turn sharper nicer machine. If you buy the 800 wrap the exhaust with header tape. I have always gotten 65 or 70 miles before the fuel light flashes. My buddies 500 gets 80 or 85. Jim:)
man thats killer milage! Im only getting 40-50 mile per a tank tops!!! Anyone know why im getting such horrible milage lol

I started out looking for a used wheeler then thought about how much abuse a wheeler takes so ended up leaving the dealer with a new one for just a cpl thousand more then a used one

·
Registered
424 Posts
What type of quadding you going to do? I would personally take a hard look at the 500 good machine I have a 700 and the wife has the 500 I like the 500 nice machine runs forever on a tank, more than enough power for most of my needs.... have dragged a full grown bull moose with it no problems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I Have an 05' 800. Bought new and I am the only owner. It's a great machine and I love riding it. Everyone here has mentioned some good advise to follow. Things I have to remember to make sure of and follow even for my personal look overs.

Just to add, The only real problem I have had is the Master cylinder @ your foot brake and the rear caliper. Also the brakes themselves. Did some maintenance and a couple of replacements and so far all is good. Check the CV boots too. Make sure no holes or tears. They're not to hard to replace but if they are, moisture and dirt may have entered and it would be an expensive repair if it isn't repaired quickly. Have fun and good luck. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts