Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just bought this machine from my sister it has 84 miles and 6.4 hours on it. She bought it brand new and it has bin sitting for a while. I had takin it for a ride this weekend and when I give it a lot of throttle it spits and sputters and when I let off the throttle some it will still go but not like it should. when I put it in low it runs better but it will spit and sputter sometimes but it seems to run better in low gear. when I put it in reverse it revs high then low then high then low and so on and will barley move. But when I push the 4wd button it will back right up with no problem. I had changed the spark plug and added some fresh fuel with the little left over fuel in the tank. has anyone had this problem or know what to do???

·
Registered
563 Posts
If its been sitting that long,did you check the battery or put a new one in it?A weak battery can cause problems similar to that.Having the old gas left in it may be part or all of the problem also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I had replaced the battery and I didn't drain the old gas. There was very little gas in it so I just add fresh gas to it thinking that would be ok.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The 400 has a carb doesnt it?There were also recalls on the 2005 400's for the ECM,have you checked that out?

·
Registered
563 Posts
You probably need to douche(clean) the carb out real good.Old gas will gel up in the carb.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You should take the carb apart and clean it out with carb cleaner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts