Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My 2005 Sportsman 500 sat in my garage for 3 months while I recuperated from surgery. When I tried to start it things were totally different. It would only start if the choke was pulled out all the way & you could not touch the throttle without it going dead. I've always kept stabilizer in the fuel, it has never been in any water or mud, it has only 100 hours on it & has always been kept in the garage with the door closed. I put part of a can of Seafoam (cleaner & stabilizer) in the fuel tank & drove it about 10 miles with very little improvement. I then siphoned the fuel out of the tank, added fresh fuel & a diifferent type cleaner & then drove it 10 more miles. Again, very little improvement. This time I added 2 gallons of high-test fuel and some Seafoam cleaner after siphoning out part of what was in the tank, drove 10 more miles with little change. As of today, it will start a little easier than in the beginning but will not idle unless the choke is all the way out & it seems to have a popping noise(like a backfire) coming the exhaust when I let off the throttle. It still acts like bad fuel or a clogged jet but I don't understand how the fuel that had stabilizer could get so bad after only 3 months. Do to my failing eyesight I do not want to work on the carb unless that's the only way to go. Any suggestions sure would help & would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
simple things first try new sparkplug .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that it runs great at high rpms, with that I would not think it was the spark plug, would you? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
maybe, but its a easy thing to do, and one less thing to take off the list of possibilities.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patience, patience, patience. I had confidence in the Seafoam product & it finally cleared the carb of whatever was causing the problem. I had to run 2 cans of Seafoam & a tank of gas to clear it up & now it's back to normal. I've only used Seafoam once b/4 in my brother's 400 Sportsman after it had sat up for 18 months & it worked on it as well. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did, I took it for a 10 mile ride with little improvement. Since my Sportsman was new I've put Sta-bil stabilizer in the fuel tank at every fill up but after this episode I will not use Sta-bil any longer. From now on it will be Seafoam & it costs less than Sta-bil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts