Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on a friends Sportsman 500 over the weekend. Original complaint is that the clutch creeps a bit at idle. Dealership says this is common with these machines and the fix is to replace the washers in the drive clutch (on either side of the one way clutch between the sheaves)....but this can only be done a few times then the whole clutch has to be replaced. This machine has EBS. Used around his property for plowing and on trails a few times a year.
Dealership says the washers fix the problem for a while but the same issue returns with less and less time between fixes each time the washers are replaced. Buddy has had the machine in to the dealership 3 times now and the problem is back. New clutch assembly from Polaris is about 600 bucks and an aftermarket unit is about the same. This machine has less than 2500 miles on it so it seems to me that this should not be needed yet. I could understand 5000 or 10000 miles but the problem started around 1800 miles.
Has anyone else heard of this? I have dealt with this dealership on my own machines for years and the guy is pretty straight up no BS kind of person. I do trust him but it seems that replacing the clutch at 2500 miles is a bit excessive.

·
11,287 Posts
Need to add or remove shims behind DRIVEN clutch so the belt runs in the center of the drive clutch without rubbing the sides.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've seen clutches that are junk at 1000 miles and some that have gone 10,000. Most of it is how the machine is used and the tires on it. If you put bigger tires on and run in high gear a lot you will create more belt dust that is very abrasive and causes a lot of wear on bushings and washers and rollers. What your dealer is saying is generally true. Pulling the clutch cover off and blowing out the crud in there on a regular basis is a good habit to get into.

I rebuild a lot of clutches and they are about 50/50 on being able to be done or not when I get them. A lot of times the weights have been bad for a long time and some significant damage to the spider or towers and won't sit properly anymore. Or a bushing wore out so long ago that the cover our moveable sheave hole is worn oblong. In those cases you have to replace the clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I will check the alignment when I go back up there again.

This was purchased new and still has the original tires on it. Dealer said yesterday that this is a problem with the EBS machines and he has tried just about everything to try to get around having to replace the clutch assembly. Buttons and towers are both in good shape, but the weights are loose and need to be replaced.

Indication I get from the service guy is that the center part of the sheave wears with these clutches and once they do, there is nothing for it but replacement.

Maybe gonna try an aftermarket unit that he says has been used on sleds as a performance upgrade for years and now is supplying clutches to Polaris for factory installs

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You may be able to add a washer to one side or the other or both if there is to much wear. I've never tried it though to be sure. Usually the rest of them are junk before the centers have worn that far.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Let us know about the aftermarket clutch, if it works, who makes it and how much$ please ..Ive replaced the older ebs clutches with the newer ones off of an 800 ho, much better clutches.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to remember, buddy called today and isn't sure which way he wants to proceed yet. We talked about patching it up to get him through the winter with the plow, but still having to replace it in the long run so I think he is leaning toward replacing with the aftermarket unit.

I do not remember the manufacturer, it was through the Polaris dealer, but the cost was about $525. I think that was for the complete unit ready to go. I will post more when I have further information.

Steve

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Probably the powerbloc. Hard good things about them as far as performance goes. Cost wise I believe they are very close in cost to the oem. Durability I can't say. Haven't seen any in person or heard enough about them to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts